Regional Landscapes of the US and Canada, 8th Edition
January 2017, ©2017
Extensively praised, Regional Landscapes of the US and Canada, 8th Edition is known for providing general readers with an excellent introduction to major geographic concepts and fundamental themes. The new eighth edition builds on this proven success, presenting updated and revised material. Anyone interested in the geography of Canada and the US will find this a valuable, accessible resource.
CHAPTER 1 REGIONS AND THEMES 1
CHAPTER 2 GEOGRAPHIC PATTERNS OF THE PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT 19
ENVIRONMENTAL LIMITS CASE STUDY: Water Need: A Matter of Natural Supply and Artificial Demand 42
CHAPTER 3 FOUNDATIONS OF HUMAN ACTIVITY 45
PERCEPTION CASE STUDY: Manifest Destiny 62
CHAPTER 4 MEGALOPOLIS 65
URBAN FRINGE CASE STUDY: Queen Anne’s County, Maryland 88
CHAPTER 5 THE NORTH AMERICAN MANUFACTURING CORE 91
CHAPTER 6 CANADA’S NATIONAL CORE 113
CHAPTER 7 THE BYPASSED EAST 131
CHAPTER 8 APPALACHIA AND THE OZARKS 147
CHAPTER 9 THE CHANGING SOUTH 167
OLD SOUTH AGRICULTURAL CASE STUDY: The Yazoo-Mississippi Delta 188
CHAPTER 10 THE SOUTHERN COASTLANDS: ON THE SUBTROPICAL MARGIN 191
CULTURAL-ECONOMIC CASE STUDY: Latin America in Florida 206
CHAPTER 11 THE AGRICULTURAL CORE 209
A VILLAGE CASE STUDY: Clarksville, Iowa 227
CHAPTER 12 THE GREAT PLAINS AND PRAIRIES 231
CHAPTER 13 THE EMPTY INTERIOR 255
NATURAL HAZARDS CASE STUDY: The Yellowstone Fires 276
SETTLEMENT CASE STUDY: Moab, Utah 277
CHAPTER 14 THE SOUTHWEST BORDER AREA: TRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT 281
URBAN CASE STUDY: San Antonio, the Mexican-American Cultural Capital 294
CULTURAL GEOGRAPHY CASE STUDY: The Hopi Reservation 295
CHAPTER 15 CALIFORNIA 299
PHYSICAL CASE STUDY: Plate Tectonics and the Ring of Fire 323
POLITICAL CASE STUDY: Dreaming of a Divided California 324
CHAPTER 16 THE NORTH PACIFIC COAST 327
A DISTINCTIVE PLACE CASE STUDY: Portland Is Different 345
CHAPTER 17 THE NORTHLANDS 347
CHAPTER 18 HAWAII 365
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.