Business Data Communications and Networking, 13th Edition
November 2017, ©2018
As the world grows increasingly interconnected, data communications has become a critical aspect of business operations. Wireless and mobile technology allows us to seamlessly transition from work to play and back again, and the Internet of things has brought our appliances, vehicles, and homes into the network; as life increasingly takes place online, businesses recognize the opportunity for a competitive advantage. Today’s networking professionals have become central to nearly every aspect of business, and this book provides the essential foundation needed to build and manage the scalable, mobile, secure networks these businesses require. Although the technologies evolve rapidly, the underlying concepts are more constant.
This book combines the foundational concepts with practical exercises to provide a well-grounded approach to networking in business today. Key management and technical issues are highlighted and discussed in the context of real-world applications, and hands-on exercises reinforce critical concepts while providing insight into day-to-day operations. Detailed technical descriptions reveal the tradeoffs not presented in product summaries, building the analytical capacity needed to understand, evaluate, and compare current and future technologies.
About the Authors v
PART ONE INTRODUCTION 1
Chapter 1 Introduction to Data Communications 1
PART TWO FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS 25
Chapter 2 Application Layer 25
Chapter 3 Physical Layer 57
Chapter 4 Data Link Layer 88
Chapter 5 NETWORK AND TRANSPORT LAYERS 110
PART THREE NETWORK TECHNOLOGIES 159
Chapter 6 Network Design 159
Chapter 7 Wired and Wireless Local Area Networks 177
Chapter 8 Backbone Networks 214
Chapter 9 Wide Area Networks 237
Chapter 10 The Internet 265
PART FOUR NETWORK MANAGEMENT 284
Chapter 11 Network Security 284
Chapter 12 Network Management 340
New to this Edition:
- Updated technologies, questions, and hands-on activities that reflect the current state of the field
- New discussion of individual and organizational cybersecurity implications for each chapter’s major topics
- Clearer, more streamlined explanation of TCP/IP, and coverage of the newest cybersecurity threats and responses
- Explains how networks work, the technologies used, and the security and management methods required for today’s businesses
- Includes an online lab manual with practical exercises related to the text
- Covers network design, analysis, hardware, software, and more
- Provides best practice recommendations for risk assessment, network protection, and intrusion prevention based on up-to-date threats
- Distinguishes the uses, features, and architecture of wired and wireless local area, wide area, and backbone networks
- Instructor’s Supplements feature lecture slides, a test bank, answers to chapter questions, teaching tips, lab exercises and answers, networking labs, and more
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.