Project Management, 10th Edition
October 2017, ©2018
Projects continue to grow larger, increasingly strategic, and more complex, with greater collaboration, instant feedback, specialization, and an ever-expanding list of stakeholders. Now more than ever, effective project management is critical for the success of any deliverable, and the demand for qualified Project Managers has leapt into nearly all sectors. Project Management provides a robust grounding in essentials of the field using a managerial approach to both fundamental concepts and real-world practice.
Designed for business students, this text follows the project life cycle from beginning to end to demonstrate what successful project management looks like on the ground. Expert discussion details specific techniques and applications, while guiding students through the diverse skill set required to select, initiate, execute, and evaluate today's projects. Insightful coverage of change management provides clear guidance on handling the organizational, interpersonal, economic, and technical glitches that can derail any project, while in-depth cases and real-world examples illustrate essential concepts in action.
1 Projects in Contemporary Organizations 1
PART I: PROJECT INITIATION
2 Strategic Management and Project Selection 28
3 The Project Manager 77
4 Managing Conflict and the Art of Negotiation 118
5 The Project in the Organizational Structure 145
PART II: PROJECT PLANNING
6 Activity Planning: Traditional and Agile 187
7 Budgeting and Risk Management 233
8 Scheduling 291
9 Resource Allocation 348
PART III: PROJECT EXECUTION
10 Monitoring and Information Systems 389
11 Project Control 421
12 Project Auditing 459
13 Project Closure and Benefits
AUTHOR INDEX 511
SUBJECT INDEX 513
APPENDIX A Probability and Statistics (online)
APPENDIX B Answers to Even-Numbered Problems (online)
APPENDIX C Technological Forecasting (online)
APPENDIX D Creativity and Idea Generation (online)
New to this Edition:
- A substantially revised chapter on Strategic Project Management covers governance, stakeholders, project phases, and other concepts applied to megaprojects
- Expanded coverage of Agile project management practices, including illustrative examples
- Expanded coverage of project closing includes discussion of Benefit Realization
- Updated Excel spreadsheet examples with Excel functions in place of algebraic calculations
- Adopts a strategic managerial approach to project management, with insightful guidance throughout the project's life cycle
- Organized to align with the stages of the project life cycle for logical progression and easy reference
- Details PMBOK concepts throughout to provide clear linkage between standards and everyday
- Includes access to Oracle's Crystal Ball® trial edition
- Companion website features quizzes, PowerPoint slides, and other helpful student resources
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.