Applet 1. Voting
illustrates how different voting methods may produce different outcomes
in an election. Counts can be run using the Plurality, Plurality with Runoff,
Borda Count, and Condorcet methods.
- Click on the cells in the left-hand column and type in candidate names.
- Enter preference schedules in the columns of the table on the right.
- The number of voters having a particular set of preferences goes in the blue
box at the top of each column.
- Select the voting method to use from the menu in the top right corner and
press the green check button to count the votes.
- The plus and minus buttons let you add or delete rows and columns. To add or
delete a row, click in a cell in the left-hand column and press the plus or
minus button. To add or delete a colum click in the blue cell at the top
of a coumn and press the plus or minus button.
- The "Details" panel shows a detailed explanation of how the votes were counted.