new Second Edition features more depth and details! The
authors have revised and updated every chapter, adding stronger
quantitative and qualitative coverage throughout (approximately
70 new pages in all!) .
Detail & Depth in Many Areas
Increased coverage of current trends (e.g. e-business in
chapters 1 and 2; six-sigma in chapter 6; lean manufacturing
in chapter 7; CPFR in chapter 8.
• Expanded coverage of the role of OM in the organization
and the current OM environment with its interfunctional
• Increased coverage of the role of technology in chapter
• Increased coverage of services in chapters 1, 3, and 9.
• Updating quality standards and expanding coverage of quality
gurus in chapter 5.
• Addition of health care examples in chapter 9.
• Chapter 12 has a new section of Periodic Order Review
as well as a rewritten section on justifying smaller lot
• Chapter 13 now includes master production scheduling and
rough-cut capacity planning and the old chapter 14 no longer
• The new Chapter 14, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
has expanded coverage on ERP.The sample product used for
the MRP explosion has been changed from a pie safe to a
• Chapter 16, Project Management, has had all of the activity-on-arrow
notation and discussion removed. The use of activity on
node notation should help avoid confusion for the students.
Problems and Case Studies:
• Additional EOC problems
• All chapters now have an additional EOC case study. Also,
cases cover a wide range of organizations from an emergency
room, to an advertising agency, to off-shore oil drilling.
• Additional solved problems
Use of Spreadsheets:
• For the spreadsheets used in the text, a spreadsheet template
is available to the students to facilitate their use of
spread-sheets in solving problems.
• The supplements A, B, C, and D are completely rewritten
with a spreadsheet approach. They are updated and EXCEL
with eGrade Plus!
eGrade Plus is a powerful online tool that
provides instructors with an integrated suite of teaching
and learning resources, including an online version of the
text, in one easy-to-use website. Organized around the essential
activities you perform in class, eGrade Plus allows you
to create class presentations, assign homework and quizzes
that will be automatically graded, and track your students'
progress. The system links homework problems to the relevant
section of the online text, providing students with context-sensitive
a demo and learn more about eGrade Plus by visiting www.wiley.com/college/egradeplus