True education in Nutrition begins
when you use the science in everyday life!
- Making Nutrient Decisions: The text takes science out of the classroom by encouraging students to apply the logic of science to their own nutrient decisions—both as consumers and future health professionals.
- Chapter Opening Case Studies: Each chapter is introduced with a short case study. These relevant health- and disease-oriented cases help capture student interest and provide a taste of some of the concepts that will be explained in the chapter. Intriguing introductions help students recognize how the material in the chapter applies to everyday health and disease issues. This case is revisited in an Outcome Section at the end of the chapter, helping students draw conclusions in order to make the connection between the science learned and its application.
- Nutrient Metabolism is presented via an integrated approach making it more accessible to students. Metabolism is introduced in Chapter 3: Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism. Then in Chapter 4: Carbohydrates, glucose metabolism is covered and explained through newly designed diagrams. In Chapter 5: Lipids, lipid metabolism is explained. Protein metabolism is covered in Chapter 6: Proteins. In Chapter 7: Energy Balance and Weight Management, metabolism and weight loss and weight gain is explained. By incorporating both metabolism and health as well as disease information throughout the text, students can see that a nutrient's function in metabolism is related to its role in health and disease.
- Critical Thinking Exercises: These unique exercises help students learn to apply their nutrition knowledge to everyday situations by presenting a nutrition-related problem and then showing the student the logical thought process needed to collect information and solve the problem.
- Process Diagrams: Special numbered lists in the narrative and legend that correspond to numbered segments in the accompanying figure help students understand the more complex line art. This is used most often in metabolism figures to help students reduce this often intimidating topic to a series of easy-to-follow steps.
- Metabolism Icons are integrated throughout the text. These allow for easy identification of where metabolism information has been integrated in each chapter.
- Science Applied: These boxed features included in every chapter focus on nutrition research studies that have led to discoveries key to our current understanding of nutrition. These boxes help students appreciate how research is done and expose them to the rich, colorful history of nutrition.
- Develop Scientific Understanding: The text equips students with the resources they need to understand challenging concepts.
New to This Edition
- Updated with MyPlate: Completely updated to include all of the latest dietary recommendations and guidelines from the USDA. This includes all of the information concerning MyPlate (choosemyplate.gov).
- New Debate Feature: This unique feature examines key nutritional discussions in the news today. It provides students with information on both sides of a controversial issue, so that they can come to their own conclusions concerning the topic.
- New Focus on Metabolism: A fully illustrated online appendix serves as a summary of metabolism information that students have learned in the textbook.
- Updated Art Program: To ensure students "see" and assimilate the processes of nutrition, figures have been redesigned to explain and present complex processes in clear steps, organize information, and integrate related information.