Books, subscription content, and information services in all media. Subject areas include business, technology, architecture, professional culinary, psychology, education, travel, health, religion, consumer reference, pets, and general interest.
Professionals, consumers, and students worldwide.
Multiple channels globally, including major chains and online booksellers, independent bookstores, libraries, college and university bookstores, mass market retailers, warehouse clubs, corporations, direct marketing, and Web sites.
For Dummies, Jossey-Bass, Frommer’s, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, CliffsNotes, Webster’s New World, Visual, Howell Book House, J.K. Lasser, Unofficial Guide, Pfeiffer, Wrox, Architectural Graphic Standards, Capstone, Wrightbooks, Audel, Sybex, Fernhurst, Whatsonwhen.
Australia, Canada, Germany, Singapore, U.K., and U.S.
- Build core publishing categories through organic growth and acquisition.
- Strengthen and expand strategic alliances and franchise products.
- Develop and grow industry-leading brands.
- Manage key accounts globally to increase sales.
- Leverage the Internet for online sales, advertising revenue from branded sites, and content licensing.
- Expand electronic publishing activities, focusing on key franchises, alliances, and brands.
- Grow custom and proprietary publishing business.
- Expand Asian publishing programs, including translations, co-publishing, and English-language reprints.
- Develop new products and services that leverage capabilities.
- Generate savings and drive productivity improvements by expanding off-shoring and outsourcing of various content-management, manufacturing, and shared support services.
Fiscal 2007 Highlights
- Increased our global Professional/Trade revenue by 9% to $484 million, driven by cooking, travel, business, and technology programs, as well as global rights and advertising.
- Grew online business significantly through advertising and licensing of Frommer’s, Unofficial Guides, and For Dummies content.
- Extended Frommer’s brand with launch of new Pauline Frommer’s and U.K. Frommer’s series.
- Acquired Whatsonwhen Ltd., a U.K.-based provider of online travel content and services.
- Acquired publishing assets of Anker Publishing, Inc., which focuses on professional development for educators and administrators in higher education.
- Formed publishing partnerships with Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc.; Essential Learning Partnership, for Web-based training courses; the Dana Centre, an extension of the Science Museum in London for a book series; and Microsoft, Inc., for the Microsoft Executive Leadership series.
- Marked 75th anniversary of Architectural Graphic Standards and 50th anniversary of the Frommer’s travel guide brand.