Books, subscription content, and information services in all media. Subject areas include business, technology, architecture, professional culinary, psychology, education, travel, health, religion, consumer reference, pets, and general interest.
Professionals, consumers, and students worldwide.
Multiple channels globally, including major chains and online booksellers, independent bookstores, libraries, college and university bookstores, mass market retailers, warehouse clubs, corporations, direct marketing, and Web sites.
For Dummies, Jossey-Bass, Frommer’s, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, CliffsNotes, Webster’s New World, Visual, Howell Book House, J.K. Lasser, Unofficial Guide, Pfeiffer, Wrox, Architectural Graphic Standards, Capstone, Wrightbooks, Audel, Sybex, Wiley Nautical, Whatsonwhen, Fisher Investments Press.
Australia, Canada, Germany, Singapore, U.K., and U.S.
- Build core publishing categories through organic growth and acquisition.
- Strengthen and expand strategic alliances and franchise products globally.
- Develop and grow industry-leading brands; expand their reach through partnerships and electronic platforms.
- Capitalize on global organization to manage key accounts and coordinate local operations globally.
- Leverage the Internet for online sales, advertising revenue from branded sites, and content licensing.
- Expand electronic publishing activities, focusing on key franchises, alliances, and brands.
- Grow custom and proprietary publishing business.
- Expand Asian publishing programs, including translations, co-publishing, and English-language reprints.
- Develop new products and services that leverage both multi-channel print sales capabilities and/or electronic/digital capabilities.
- Generate savings and drive productivity improvements by expanding off-shoring and outsourcing of various content-management, manufacturing, and shared support services.
Fiscal 2008 Highlights
- Increased global Professional/Trade revenue by 3% to $469 million, driven by our business, general interest, and psychology programs, as well as brand licensing and global rights.
- Grew online business significantly through advertising and licensing of Frommer’s, Whatsonwhen, and For Dummies content.
- Extended Frommer’s brand with blogs, interactive maps, and audio walking tours; Arthur Frommer’s blog named to New York Post “10 top web sites for travelers in 2008” list.
- Launched several digital initiatives, including The Leadership Challenge Leadercast Series of podcasts supporting the Leadership Challenge franchise; Student LPI (Leadership Practices Inventory) Online; Sybex TestSuccess online preparation material for technology certification exams; WroxBlox downloadable pdfs on cutting-edge technology topics; and For Dummies audio language CDs.
- Launched Web sites for Webster’s New World (webstersnewworld.com), featuring online catalog, “Word of the Year” selections and archives, and radio interviews; and for J.K. Lasser (jklasser.com), featuring content, services, and community features.
- Signed agreement to launch Fisher Investments Press imprint with Ken Fisher, CEO of Fisher Investments and author of bestselling Wiley title The Only Three Questions That Count: Investing by Knowing What Others Don’t.