Journals, encyclopedias, books, databases, and laboratory manuals in the life sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine, the humanities, engineering, dentistry, veterinary science, nursing, and other research-based professions, delivered in print and online.
Academic, corporate, government, and public libraries; researchers; clinicians; engineers and technologists; scholarly and professional societies; students; and professors worldwide.
Multiple channels including libraries, library consortia, subscription agents, bookstores, online booksellers, and direct sales to customers.
Imprints: Wiley, Wiley-Blackwell, Wiley-VCH, Blackwell Publishing, 5 Minute Vet Consult, BMJ Books, BPS-Blackwell, Blackwell Synergy, Ernst & Sohn, GIT Verlag, IEEE Press, IFT Press, ISTE, Le Jacq, Polity, UK Vet, Verlag Chimica Acta, Wiley AcerS, Wiley AIChE. Other brands include Wiley InterScience, Essential Evidence Plus (formerly InfoPOEMs), PharmaFile, The Cochrane Library.
Australia, Germany, Singapore, U.K., and U.S.
- Develop and manage as a global business.
- Partner with medical, scholarly, and professional societies.
- Provide superior support to customers and clients.
- Expand online content portfolio and enhance it with additional tools and services to improve researchers’ and professionals’ productivity.
- Make content and services more accessible via enhanced online platforms.
- Create new online business models and services.
- Collaborate with online enterprises that add value to Wiley InterScience and to the new Wiley-Blackwell platform that will replace it in 2009.
- Expand online offerings of book backfiles and legacy reference works.
- Build advertising-supported publications business.
- Grow business in Asia, adding new customers, authors, and publishing programs.
- Generate savings and drive productivity improvements by expanding off-shoring and outsourcing of various content-management, manufacturing, and shared support services.
Fiscal 2008 Highlights
- Increased global revenue for STMS (also known as Wiley-Blackwell) by 74% to $978 million, or 6% excluding Blackwell. Blackwell’s revenue for FY 2008 was $485 million, the vast majority of which is included in global STMS.
- Wiley InterScience visits grew by 60%, with journal article downloads increasing by 22% to 47 million and nonjournal content downloads increasing by 18% to 7.5 million. Similarly, journal article downloads on Blackwell’s online platform, Blackwell Synergy, grew by 14% to 71.5 million; Blackwell’s online book program, launched in October 2006, had 1.5 million accesses in the past year.
- The number of books available online through Wiley InterScience continued to grow, with over 6,000 titles now available, including over 1,500 from the former Blackwell.
- Signed new publishing agreements for 65 journals with societies including the American Association of Anatomists, the American Anthropological Association (AAA), the Cognitive Science Society, the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, the RAND Corporation, the Royal Statistical Society, the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine, the Statistical Society of Canada, and the Triological Society, among others.
- Renewed or extended publishing contracts for 74 journals with societies including the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, the American Cancer Society, the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, The Cochrane Library, the German Pharmaceutical Society, the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, the Pathological Society, the Policy Studies Organisation, the Royal Entomological Society, the Society for Applied Microbiology, the Scandinavian Plant Physiology Society, the Society for Research in Child Development, the Society for the Study of Addiction, and the Society of Plastics Engineers.
- Launched 25 new journals and other serial publications, including Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining (Biofpr, in collaboration with the Society of Chemical Industry), ChemSusChem, Current Protocols in Stem Cells, and Health for Women.
- Launched several other key products, including Essential Evidence Plus, an enhanced version of the evidence-based medicine point-of-care resource InfoPOEMs with InfoRetriever, and Mass Spectral Collections of Drugs, the most comprehensive such reference, in print and on CD-ROM.
- Sponsored Wiley-Blackwell Executive Seminars, for executives and editors of professional and scholarly societies, in London, Washington, D.C., Copenhagen, Seoul, and Tokyo.