The Academic Portfolio: A Practical Guide to Documenting Teaching, Research, and Service
October 2008, Jossey-Bass
The thrust of this book is unique:
- It provides time-tested strategies and proven advice for getting started with portfolios.
- It includes a research-based rubric grounded in input from 200 faculty members and department chairs from across disciplines and institutions.
- It examines specific guiding questions to consider when preparing every subsection of the portfolio.
- It presents 18 portfolio models from 16 different academic disciplines.
Designed for faculty members, department chairs, deans, and members of promotion and tenure committees, all of whom are essential partners in developing successful academic portfolio programs, the book will also be useful to graduate students, especially those planning careers as faculty members.
About the Authors.
About the Contributors.
1. The Academic Portfolio Concept.
2. Choosing Items for the Academic Portfolio.
3. Preparing the Portfolio.
4. Suggestions for Improving the Portfolio.
5. Evaluating the Portfolio for Personnel Decisions.
6. Answers to Common Questions .
7. Sample Portfolios from Across Disciplines.
Biomedical Engineering (Timothy M. Wick).
Bioscience and Biotechnology (Shivanthi Anandan).
Child and Family Studies (Lynda Henley Walters).
Education (Robert M. Maninger and Clement A. Seldin).
English (John Zubizarreta).
Environmental Engineering (Charles N. Haas).
Foreign Languages and Literature (Sheri Spaine Long).
Geology and Environmental Science (Ranjan S. Muttiah).
Jazz and Contemporary Music (Reginald Workman).
Mathematical Sciences (Lisa A. Oberbroeckling).
Nutritional Sciences (Gina Jarman Hill).
Pastoral Counseling (Kelly Murray).
Pediatric Emergency Medicine (Annalise Sorrentino).
Political Science (Carrie Liu Currier and Marlene K. Sokolon).
Product Design (Robert Kirkbride).
Psychology (Pamela A. Geller).
Peter Seldin is Distinguished Professor of Management Emeritus at Pace University in Pleasantville, New York.
J. Elizabeth Miller is associate professor of Family and Child Studies at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois.
…Even the most faithful of Seldin’s readers will find new and updated content among many familiar themes, as well as a change of focus from the evaluator to the preparer of an academic portfolio.
The anecdote at the end of Chapter 6 is telling about the authors’ opinion: the time to begin preparing an academic portfolio is now. Start by reading this book to find out why and how!”
—The National Teaching and Learning Forum
Buy Both and Save 25%!
The Academic Portfolio: A Practical Guide to Documenting Teaching, Research, and Service (US $45.00)
-and- Developing Learner-Centered Teaching: A Practical Guide for Faculty (US $44.00)
Total List Price: US $89.00
Discounted Price: US $66.75 (Save: US $22.25)