DescriptionThe "Gold Standard" in Biochemistry text books, Biochemistry 4e, is a modern classic that has been thoroughly revised. Don and Judy Voet explain biochemical concepts while offering a unified presentation of life and its variation through evolution. Incorporates both classical and current research to illustrate the historical source of much of our biochemical knowledge.
2. Aqueous Solutions.
3. Thermodynamic Principles: A Review.
PART II: BIOMOLECULES.
4. Amino Acids.
5. Nucleic Acids, Gene Expression, and Recombinant DNA Technology.
6. Techniques of Protein and Nucleic Acid Purification.
7. Covalent Structures of Proteins and Nucleic Acids.
8. Three-Dimensional Structures of Proteins.
9. Protein Folding, Dynamics, and Structural Evolution.
10. Hemoglobin: Protein Function in Microcosm.
11. Sugars and Polysaccharides.
12. Lipids and Membranes.
PART III: MECHANISMS OF ENZYME ACTION.
13. Introduction to Enzymes.
14. Rates of Enzymatic Reactions.
15. Enzymatic Catalysis.
PART IV: METABOLISM.
16. Introduction to Metabolism.
18. Glycogen Metabolism.
19. Signal Transduction.
20. Transport Through Membranes.
21. Citric Acid Cycle.
22. Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation.
23. Other Pathways of Carbohydrate Metabolism.
25. Lipid Metabolism.
26. Amino Acid Metabolism.
27. Energy Metabolism: Integration and Organ Specialization.
28. Nucleotide Metabolism.
PART V: EXPRESSION AND TRANSMISSION OF GENETIC INFORMATION.
29. Nucleic Acid Structures.
30. DNA Replication, Repair, and Recombination.
33. Viruses: Paradigms for Cellular Function.
34. Eukaryotic Gene Expression.
35. Molecular Physiology.
- Many new and updated protein and nucleic acid structures
- Next generation DNA sequencing technologies
- New methods of protein structure prediction and design
- Discussion of glycomics
- How transmembrane proteins are inserted into membranes
- Updated discussions on vesicle formation and fusion
- Mechanism of nitric oxide synthase
- Structural characterization of G protein-coupled receptors
- Structures of (Na+-K+)-, Ca2+-, and (H+-K+)-ATPases
- ABC Transporters
- Voltage-gated ion channels
- Structures of all components of the electron transport system
- Structures of photosystems I and II
- Structures of fatty acid synthases
- Structure of topoisomerase II
- Mechanism of helicases
- Updated mechanisms of DNA replication
- DNA replication initiation
- Replication of mitochondrial DNA
- Mechanism of recombination
- Structure and mechanism of RecBCD
- Structure and mechanism of RNA polymerase II
- Structure and mechanism of Rho factor
- Structure of a group I intron
- Functions of RNAi
- Mechanism of ribosomal polypeptide synthesis
- Mechanism of DNA loading in phage heads
- Structure of chromatin
- As in past editions, the chemical basis of modern Biochemistry is presented in a thorough and uncompromising fashion. Don and Judy Voet are scholars and teachers who have dedicated their careers to their students and this text.
- A splendid art program of over 3000 figures presents both classical and contemporary concepts, experiments, and techniques.
- A lucid and elegant writing style captures the historical foundations of contemporary Biochemistry focusing on the scientific process rather than presenting Biochemistry as a body of static facts isolated from the flesh-and-blood work of experimentalists.
- Themes throughout the text integrate a vast amount of material. The unity of evolutionary processes, the interdependence of elaborate biological control systems and cascades, and the important biomedical consequences of understanding life at the molecular level are themes woven into the text to give students an intellectually satisfying journey, not just a dry presentation of topics and techniques.