Advanced Accounting is a new Canadian textbook that offers students clear explanations of accounting standards, unique content, and challenging problems and cases. Taking a very detailed approach to the topics that can be difficult for students to master; the text lays out each topic very clearly and provides illustrative examples that show students how these concepts are applied. This helps students understand the reasons that adjustments are being made, which leads to a deeper understanding of the concepts and avoids the pitfalls that come from simply memorizing formulas. The chapters are also outlined by learning objectives so that instructors can decide the level of depth they wish to cover.
Advanced Accounting is designed to address those advanced topics in accounting that require knowledge of all other sections of the CICA Handbook. This text builds on the knowledge obtained in an intermediate accounting course and is intended to extend the learning from intermediate texts such as Intermediate Accounting by Kieso, Weygandt, Warfield, Young, and Wiecek.
Table of contents
Module 1: Long-Term Inter-Corporate Investments
1. Accounting for Investments
2. Business Combinations
3. Consolidation: Wholly Owned Subsidiaries
4. Consolidation: Intragroup Transactions
5. Consolidation: Non-controlling Interest
6. Accounting for Investments in Associates and Joint Ventures
Module 2: Foreign Currency
7. Accounting for Foreign Currency
8. Accounting for Foreign Investments
Module 3: Not-for-Profit and Government Organizations Reporting
9. Reporting for Not-for-Profit Organizations
10. Reporting for Public Sector Entities