The New Mandarins of American Power: The Bush Administration's Plans for the World
1. The Rhetoric of Conquest:.
Between Good and Evil.
Rogue states and the axis of evil.
Weapons of mass destruction.
2. The Cultists of Eternal War:.
The Bush Doctrine.
Bush II: the Republican right take the helm.
Chronicle of a war foretold.
3. The Grand Strategy of the American Empire:.
American strategy after the Cold War.
Exploiting America’s military edge.
America versus Europe.
4. The Geopolitics of Oil:.
Remaking the Middle East.
Blood and oil.
5. Collision of Empires:.
Imperialism and Empire.
The peculiarities of American imperialism.
A return to inter-imperialist rivalries.
Epilogue Nemesis, the Daughter of Justice
"This contemporary history by the UK's leading orthodox Marxist intellectual provides a satisfying narrative of the neo-conservative ascendance that enabled the second Iraq war ... New Mandarins of American Power is engaging, accessible and incisive."
Thomas Daniels, Red Pepper
"Deeply informed, balanced, and full of insights, this perceptive inquiry explores the rational basis for the aggressive unilateralism of the Bush administration that has frightened much of the world, arguing plausibly that it" is based on a largely accurate reading of the long-term economic and geopolitical threats facing US capitalism". It more than fulfills its goal of contributing to 'an understanding of the strange and frightening world' that is taking shape."
"Of all those seeking to make sense of rampant American power, Alex Callinicos succeeds, outstandingly with his razor-sharp analysis and eloquent warning to us all."
- A controversial and provocative view on an extremely timely and important topic.
- Examines the neo-conservative foreign policies of the Bush administration and the "Project for the New American Century".
- Highly topical and will appeal to the media in the US and the UK.
- Builds on the success of Callinicos’ previous book with us – An Anti-Capitalist Manifesto.