The second edition of The Trustee Handbook for Health Care Governance
offers health care board members, executives, and leaders a comprehensive resource for effective board governance. Written by two experts in the field of health care leadership, this practical manual is filled with the information and resources needed to help health care board members successfully lead their organizations. The book includes
- A review of the skills, talents, and experience needed to serve on a governing board
- Assessments for determining if members understand their roles and responsibilities as board members
- A systems approach for assessing the health status of the community and making a commitment for its improvement
- Strategies for creating measurable quality improvement within organizations
- A process of self-evaluation for board and individual board members
- A model for the pursuit of excellence for the entire organization
- Methods for evaluating the organization's mission statement
- Suggestions for improving key relationships with CEOs, physicians, and physician groups.
Table of contents
Foreword by Connie R. Curran.
About the Authors.
PART ONE: BOARDROOM BASICS.
1 Board Composition and Trustee Selection.
2 Board Job Descriptions.
3 Orientation: Basic Building Blocks of an Effective Board.
PART TWO: BOARD ACCOUNTABILITY.
4 Assessing and Improving Your Community's Health.
5 Board Oversight of Quality.
6 Self-Evaluation: The Mark of Good Governance.
PART THREE: STRATEGIC PLANNING AND INFORMATION.
7 Developing a Community-Focused Mission.
8 Strategic Planning by the Board.
9 Information and the Effective Board.
PART FOUR: BOARD RELATIONS.
10 CEO Evaluation and Compensation.
11 New Relationships with Physicians: An Overview forTrustees.
12 The Board-Physician Relationship: Enhancing LeadershipPotential.
PART FIVE: GOVERNANCE IN THE INTERNET AGE.
13 Stewardship in the New Age.
14 The Role of the Board in the New Health Economy.
15 Information, E-health, and the Board.
PART SIX: THE TRUSTEE AS LEADER.
16 Principle-Based Governance: An Approach to IntegratedLeadership.
17 The Role of the Board Chair.
18 The Board Leader's Role in Building and Maintaining Trust.
PART SEVEN: GOVERNANCE IN TRANSFORMATION.
19 Systems Thinking in Governance.
20 Redesigning Governance for Success.
21 Governing a Conversion Foundation: A Practical Guide forTrustees.
Part Eight: Growing the Best Board.
22 Developing the Individual Trustee.
23 Building Effective Board Committees.
24 Community Representation and the Effective Board.