- A narrative style that supports student learning - Rather than fragmenting the text with sidebars, extraboxes, and examples, this text presents a smooth expository flow that facilitates understanding. Critical examples (sample problems) are positioned as Touchstone Examples.
- Emphasis on observation and experimentation - The experimental evidence for many of the physical laws and relationships discussed in the narrative have been presented in graphical form.
- Incorporates active learning -- The story line is reinforced by the use of Reading Exercises that help students focus on thoughtful reading of the text sections in each chapter.
- Alternative problem selections - Based on the authors' knowledge of research on student learning difficulties, these new problems require careful qualitative reasoning and explicitly connect conceptual understanding to quantitative problem solving. In addition, estimation problems, video analysis problems, and 'real life' problems add to student understanding.
- Presentations that are known to be associated with common student confusions have been rewritten and clarified. Some topics have been rearranged (especially the introduction of the New Mechanics Sequence) to provide a more pedagogically coherent learning path and story line.