Preface to the Sixth Edition.
List of Abbreviations.
List of Symbols.
The International Phonetic Alphabet.
"This is the standard, modestly priced, single-volume reference work for its esoteric fields. Essential stock in all libraries, at all levels; an invaluable text book for teacher and student; and another huge achievement for its distinguished progenitor!" (Reference Review, November 2009)
- Includes in excess of 5,100 terms, grouped into over 3,000 entries
- Coverage reflects recommendations by a team of experts in phonetics, phonology, syntax, semantics, sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics, making it exceptionally comprehensive
- Incorporates new ideas stemming from the minimalist program
- Contains a separate table of abbreviations and table of symbols, along with an updated International Phonetic Alphabet
- Updates entries to reflect the way established terms are now perceived in light of changes in the field, providing a unique insight into the historical development of linguistics
- Remains the standard single-volume reference for the field of linguistics and phonetics.