A guide to putting cognitive diversity to work
Ever wonder what it is that makes two people click or clash? Or why some groups excel while others fumble? Or how you, as a leader, can make or break team potential?
Business Chemistry holds the answers. Based on extensive research and analytics, plus years of proven success in the field, the Business Chemistry framework provides a simple yet powerful way to identify meaningful differences between people’s working styles. Who seeks possibilities and who seeks stability? Who values challenge and who values connection? Business Chemistry will help you grasp where others are coming from, appreciate the value they bring, and determine what they need in order to excel. It offers practical ways to be more effective as an individual and as a leader.
Imagine you had a more in-depth understanding of yourself and why you thrive in some work environments and flounder in others. Suppose you had a clearer view on what to do about it so that you could always perform at your best.
Imagine you had more insight into what makes people tick and what ticks them off, how some interactions unlock potential while others shut people down. Suppose you could gain people’s trust, influence them, motivate them, and get the very most out of your work relationships.
Imagine you knew how to create a work environment where all types of people excel, even if they have conflicting perspectives, preferences and needs. Suppose you could activate the potential benefits of diversity on your teams and in your organizations, improving collaboration to achieve the group’s collective potential.Business Chemistry offers all of this--you don’t have to leave it up to chance, and you shouldn’t. Let this book guide you in creating great chemistry!
VI. Forward (by Punit Renjen,
Global CEO, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited)
1. CHAPTER 1 The Power of Chemistry
13. CHAPTER 2 Lay of the Land
BUSINESS CHEMISTRY CORE
19. CHAPTER 3 PIONEERS Value Possibilities and Spark Energy and Imagination
29. CHAPTER 4 GUARDIANS Value Stability and Bring Order and Rigor
39. CHAPTER 5 DRIVERS Value Challenge and Generate Momentum
49. CHAPTER 6 INTEGRATORS Value Connection and Draw Teams Together
62. CHAPTER 7 Recognizing Others Through Business Chemistry “Tells”
81. CHAPTER 8 Using Business Chemistry Responsibly
BUSINESS CHEMISTRY ELECTIVES
91. CHAPTER 9 What about Introverts and Extroverts?
103. CHAPTER 10 Stress, Career Aspirations, and Other Headlines
129. CHAPTER 11 Nature or Nurture? (And Other Timeless Questions)
BUSINESS CHEMISTRY APPLICATIONS
151. CHAPTER 12 Pioneers in Hell…How to Stop Killing their Potential
169. CHAPTER 13 Guardians in Hell…How to Stop Killing their Potential
185. CHAPTER 14 Drivers in Hell…How to Stop Killing their Potential
203. CHAPTER 15 Integrators in Hell…How to Stop Killing their Potential
220. CHAPTER 16 Creating Powerful Relationships with Colleagues, Customers, and Everyone Else
234. CHAPTER 17 Putting Business Chemistry to Work On Your Teams
260. CHAPTER 18 Got Chemistry?
265. About the Authors (or When a Pioneer and a Guardian Work Together)
271. Appendix: Details of the Business Chemistry System
296. Photo Credits