DescriptionIt covers all the major themes of Ancient Greek history, set in the context of both the preceding and following periods.
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
List of Contributors.
Part I: Landscape, Seascape:.
1. The Physical Background: Friedrich Sauerwein (Modautal, Germany).
Part II: The March of the Past:.
2. The Human Foreground: Robin Barber (University of Edinburgh).
3. The Bronze Age Palace Societies: Oliver Dickinson (University of Durham).
4. Archaic into Classical: Graham Shipley (University of Leicester).
5. Greek Kings and Roman Emperors: Helen Parkins and Graham Shipley (Fitzwilliam College, University of Cambridge and University of Leicester).
Part III: Classical Mosaic:.
6. The Greek Countryside: Lin Foxhall (University of Leicester).
7. Politics and Public Life: the Urban Scene: Nick Fisher (University of Wales, Cardiff).
8. Greek Religious Practices: Robert Parker (New College, University of Oxford).
9. The Spoken and the Written Word: Kenneth Dover (University of St Andrews).
10. Examining Life: Edward Hussey (All Souls, University of Oxford).
11. Trades and Crafts: Alison Burford.
12. Architecture and Sculpture: Olga Palagia (University of Athens).
13. Crafts in the Private Sphere: Brian Sparkes (University of Southampton).
14. Women in Classical Athens: Sue Blundell (Birkbeck College, University of London).
15. Sex in Classical Athens: Brian Sparkes (University of Southampton).
Part IV: Continuity and Change:.
16. The Christian Millennium: Averil Cameron (Keble College, University of Oxford).
17. The Ottoman Centuries: Malcom Wagstaff (University of Southampton).
18. After Independence: Richard Clogg (St Antony's College, University of Oxford).
19. The Greek Legacy: Michael Greenhalgh (The Australian National University).
* Comprises nineteen chapters written by a distinguished group of international scholars.
* Covers all aspects of Ancient Greek civilization: geography, economy, architecture, literature, philosophy and the role of women.
* Includes numerous photos, drawings, maps and a timeline.