List of Tables.
Notes on Contributors.
Introduction: Perspectives on Listening in the 21st Century (Andrew D. Wolvin, University of Maryland).
Part I: Theoretical Overview of Listening:
1. Listening Engagement: Intersecting Theoretical Perspectives (Andrew D. Wolvin, University of Maryland).
Part II: Listening Research Methods:
2. Qualitative Research: Critical for Understanding Listening (Michael W. Purdy, Governors State University, Illinois).
3. Quantitative Research in Listening: Explication and Overview (Graham D. Bodie, Louisiana State University and Margaret Fitch-Hauser, Auburn University).
Part III: Listening as a Cognitive and Relational Activity:
4. What is Going on in the Mind of a Listener? The Cognitive Psychology of Listening (Margarete Imhof, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz).
5. Listening: A Dialogic Perspective (James J. Floyd, University of Central Missouri).
6. The Skills of Listening-Centered Communication (Judi Brownell, Cornell University).
7. Listening in a Second Language (John Flowerdew, City University of Hong Kong and Lindsay Miller, City University of Hong Kong).
Part IV: Listening in Contexts:
8. Listening Practices: Are We Getting Any Better? (Sheila C. Bentley, Bentley Consulting).
9. Listening Pedagogy: Where Do We Go from Here? (Laura A. Janusik, Rockhurst University).
10. Perspectives on Intercultural Listening (Melissa L. Beall, University of Northern Iowa).
11. Listening in Spirituality and Religion (Diana Corley Schnapp, Rockhurst University).
12. The Integrative Listening Model: An Approach to Teaching and Learning Listening (Kathleen Thompson, Alverno College, Pamela Leintz, Georgia State University, Barbara Nevers, Alverno College and Susan Witkowski, Alverno College).
- Introduces students to the core issues listening theory and practice
- Includes student friendly features such as editorial introductions to each section and questions for further reflection at the end of each chapter
- An edited textbook which brings together top scholarship from a range of disciplines