Series Editors' Preface.
List of Abbreviations.
1. Military Geography, Militarism’s Geographies.
2. Military Space.
3. Military Economic Geographies.
4. Militarized Environments.
5. Military Landscapes.
6. Challenging Military Geographies.
7. The Study of Military Geographies.
- A book about how local space, place, environment and landscape are shaped by military presence, and about how wider geographies are touched by militarism.
- Sets a new agenda for the study of military geography with its critical analysis of the ways in which military control over space is legitimized.
- Explores the ways in which militarism and military activities control development, the use of space and our understanding of place.
- Focuses on military lands, establishments and personnel in contemporary peacetime settings.
- Uses examples from Europe, North America and Australasia.
- Draws on original research into the mechanisms by which the British government manages the defence estate.
- Illustrated with maps, plans and other figures.