Part I: Race, Caste, and Hierarchy.
1. Race and Caste as Natural Hierarchies.
5. History and Ambivalence: a Place in the Sociological Debate.
Part II: Theoretical Constructions.
7. Essentialism and Anti-essentialism.
9. Culture, Practice, and Symbol.
Part III: Economic and Political Formations.
13. European capitalism, Indian Capitalism?.
14. Political formations.
17. Nations and Citizenries.
Part IV: Race, Slavery, and Colonialism. .
20. Race and colonial society.
21. Race and Political Thought in Early Modern Europe.
Part V: Race, Caste and the Person. .
23. Race, Caste and Kinship.
24. Caste, kinship, and Gender in India.
25. Race, Kinship, and Gender in the Caribbean.
Part VI: Race, Caste and the Nation. .
27. Race and the Creolization in the Caribbean.
31. Caste, communalism, and the Nation in Contemporary India.
Part VII: Hierarchy and Politics. .
32. Hierarchy and a Sociology of Politics.
33. Hierarchy and a Politics of Sociology.
"This wide-ranging book considers political ideologies, European colonialism, and classical and contemporary social theory, especially that of Marx and Levi-Strauss." S. D. Borchert, Lake Erie College.
"an interesting work." Contemporary Sociology
"Smaje's book is a major contribution to the area. It is ambitious, erudite, and insightful." Ethnic and Racial Studies
* Provides detailed exposition of historical data from Europe, the Americas, and the Indian subcontinent
* Offers critique of contemporary identity politics.