Preface to the First Edition.
PART I: BASIC SAMPLING.
2. Simple Random Sampling.
3. Confidence Intervals.
4. Sample Size.
5. Estimating Proportions, Ratios, and Subpopulation Means.
6. Unequal Probability Sampling.
PART II: MAKING THE BEST USE OF SURVEY DATA.
7. Auxiliary Data and Ratio Estimation.
8. Regression Estimation.
9. The Sufficient Statistic in Sampling.
10. Design and Model.
PART III SOME USEFUL DESIGNS.
11. Stratified Sampling.
12. Cluster and Systematic Sampling.
13. Multistage Designs.
14. Double or Two-Phase Sampling.
PART IV METHODS FOR ELUSIVE AND HARD-TO-DETECT POPULATIONS.
15. Network Sampling and Link-Tracing Designs.
16. Detectability and Sampling.
17. Line and Point Transects.
18. Capture-Recapture Sampling.
19. Line-Intercept Sampling.
PART V SPATIAL SAMPLING.
20. Spatial Prediction or Kriging.
21. Spatial Designs.
22. Plot Shapes and Observational Methods.
PART VI ADAPTIVE SAMPLING.
23. Adaptive Sampling Designs.
24. Adaptive Cluster Sampling.
25. Systematic and Strip Adaptive Cluster Sampling.
26. Stratified Adaptive Cluster Sampling.
Answers to Selected Exercises.
"...treats both classical and modern sampling design and estimation methods, along with sampling methods for rare, clustered, and hard-to-detect populations." (SciTech Book News, Vol. 26, No. 2, June 2002)
"...a well-written and expanded new edition...an excellent book on an important subject. Highly recommended..." (Choice, Vol. 40, No. 2, October 2002)
"This book has never had a competitor. It is the only book that takes a broad approach to sampling...any good personal statistics library should include a copy of this book." (Technometrics, Vol. 44, No. 4, November 2002)
"...an ideal reference for scientific researchers and other professionals who use sampling..."(Zentralblatt Math, Vol.1002, No.02, 2003)