Schizophrenia, 3rd Edition
Schizophrenia, 3rd Edition
ISBN: 978-1-405-17697-2 February 2011 Wiley-Blackwell 736 Pages
This book represents a definitive, essential, and up-to-date reference text on schizophrenia. It extensively and critically digests and clarifies recent advances and places them within a clinical context. The Editors (one American and one British), highly respected clinical psychiatrists and researchers and acknowledged experts on schizophrenia, have again assembled an outstanding group of contributors from the USA, UK, Europe and Australia, It will be of value to practising psychiatrists and to trainees, as well as to clinical and neuroscience researchers interested in keeping up with this field or coming into it.
The book consists of four sections: descriptive aspects, biological aspects, physical treatments, and psychological and social aspects. It reviews the theoretical controversies over symptomatology, classification and aetiology (particularly pertinent as DSM-V is being developed), the relationship of schizophrenia to the other psychoses, the significance of positive and negative symptoms and pre-morbid personality. It describes a variety of approaches to integrating the vast research data about schizophrenia, including neurodevelopmental, genetic, pharmacological, brain imaging and psychological findings. The biological treatment section reviews the comparative efficacy of various drugs, the management of drug-resistant patients and both neurological and metabolic complications. The final section looks at psychological therapies, social outcomes, and the economics of schizophrenia.
Highly Commended in the Psychiatry section of the 2012 BMA Book Awards.
Table of contents
Preface to the 3rd Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
Part 1 Descriptive Aspects.
1. The concept of schizophrenia: past, present, and future (Nancy C. Andreasen).
2. The schizophrenia construct: symptomatic presentation (Celso Arango and William T. Carpenter).
3. Child and adolescent schizophrenia (Chris Hollis and Judith Rapoport).
4. Late onset schizophrenia (Robert Howard and Dilip V. Jeste).
5. The Schizophrenia Spectrum Personality Disorders (Eran Chemerinski and Larry J. Siever).
6. The prodome of schizophrenia (Shôn Lewis and Jean Addington).
7. Course and outcome (Wolfram an der Heiden and Heinz Häfner).
8. Neurocognitive Impairments in Schizophrenia: Their Character and Their Role in Symptom Formation (Terry E. Goldberg, Anthony David, James. M. Gold).
Part 2 BIOLOGICAL ASPECTS.
9. The secondary schizophrenias (Thomas M. Hyde and Maria A. Ron).
10. Schizophrenia: The epidemiological horizon (Assen Jablensky, James B. Kirkbride and Peter B. Jones).
11. Environmental risk factors for schizophrenia (John J. McGrath and Robin M. Murray).
12. Classical Genetic Studies of Schizophrenia (Brien Riley and Kenneth S. Kendler).
13. Genetic Associations in Schizophrenia (Michael C O'Donovan and Michael J. Owen).
14 . Intermediate phenotypes and genetic origins (Tyrone Cannon).
15. Electrophysiology of schizophrenia (Georg Winterer and Robert W. McCarley).
16. Structural Brain Imaging in schizophrenia and related populations (Stephen M. Lawrie and Christos Pantelis).
17. Functional Brain Imaging in schizophrenia (Andreas Meyer-Lindenberg).
18. Neuropathology of schizophrenia (Paul J. Harrison, David A. Lewis and Joel E. Kleinman).
19. Schizophrenia as a neurodevelopmental disorder (Daniel R. Weinberger).
20. Dopamine and Schizophrenia (Anissa Abi-Dargham and Anthony Grace).
21. Contributions of glutamate and GABA systems to the neurobiology and treatment of schizophrenia (John H. Krystal, M.D. and Bita Moghaddam).
22. Animal Models of schizophrenia (Barbara K. Lipska and Joseph A. Gogos).
Part 3 BIOLOGICAL TREATMENTS.
23. The pharmacology and neuroscience of antipsychotic drugs (John L. Waddington, Colm O'Tuathaigh and Gary J. Remington).
24. Principles of pharmacological treatment in schizophrenia (Thomas R. E. Barnes and Stephen R. Marder).
25. Comparative efficacy and effectiveness in the drug treatment of schizophrenia (John Geddes, Mark Weiser, John M Davis and Grigori Joffe).
26. Approaches to treatment resistant patients (Stefan Leucht, Cristoph U. Correll and John M. Kane).
27. Neurological complications of antipsychotic drugs (Peter M. Haddad and Venkata S. Mattay).
28. Metabolic and other side effects (John W. Newcomer and Stefan Leucht).
Part 4 PSYCHOSOCIAL ASPECTS.
29. Schizophrenia and psychosocial stress (Paul E. Bebbington and Elizabeth Kuipers).
30. Mental health services for schizophrenia patients (Tom Burns and Bob Drake).
31. Societal Outcomes in Schizophrenia (Ian Kooyman and Elizabeth Walsh).
32. Psychological treatment of psychosis (Gillian Haddock and Wiliam Spaulding).
33. Economics of the treatment of schizophrenia (Nancy H. Covell, Susan M. Essock, and Linda K. Frisman).
Colour plates are found facing page 338.
"I thoroughly recommend this book as a well-integrated collection of thoughtful and up-to-date expositions on every aspect of schizophrenia, by some of the best scientists in the field. " (Psychological Medicine, 2012)
“It will be of valuable to practising psychiatrists and to trainees, as well as to the clinical and neuroscience researchers interested in keeping up with this field or coming into it.” (Buchtipps, September 2012)
"The contributing authors and editors constitute an international list of '"who's who" in contemporary schizophrenia research. Overall this book represents a highly systematic, comprehensive, scholarly, and critical appraisal of a core component of modern psychiatry and a major publice health challenge. It ably summarizes and evalutates efforts to better understand the nature, diagnosis, biology, psychology, sociology and clinical treatment of the group of largely "nonaffective" psychotic disorders currently considered within the nosological domain of schizophrenia. As such, it is an essential volume for students, researchers, clinicians, and administrators interested in improved understanding and care of persons diagnosed with psychotic disorders." (Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 2012)