Introduction: Mark Leonard.
Foreword to the Original German edition.
1. Breaking the Mould.
2. The Maxims of a Proactive State.
3. The Future of the Parties.
4. The Beginnings of a New Corporatism.
5. What Can We Learn From Others?.
6. New Paths to Growth and Full Employment.
7. Policies for a Proactive Society.
Postscript: Gerhard Schröder.
Appendix: The Third Way, Die Neue Mitte: Tony Blair and Gerhard Schröder.
The ideas presented in this book give form and substance to the evolutuion of the debate about third way politics in the English-speaking world. This translation of Hombach's book is a welcome event. His work should provoke as much interest, and controversy, as it did on its initial appearance in Germany."
Anthony Giddens, London School of Economics and Poltical Science.
* The Politics of the New Centre is a theoretically innovative text which sets out the meaning of the Third Way for political and economic policy.
* The book has sold over 15 000 copies so far in Germany, and is destined to become a key text on the future of social democracy in Europe as a whole.