The Role of Mitochondria in Human Aging and Disease: From Genes to Cell Signaling, Volume 1042
The Role of Mitochondria in Human Aging and Disease: From Genes to Cell Signaling, Volume 1042
ISBN: 978-1-573-31542-5 July 2006 Wiley-Blackwell 556 Pages
Download Product Flyer
NOTE: Annals volumes are available for sale as individual books or as a journal. For information on institutional journal subscriptions, please visit www.blackwellpublishing.com/nyas.
ACADEMY MEMBERS: Please contact the New York Academy of Sciences directly to place your order (www.nyas.org). Members of the New York Academy of Science receive full-text access to the Annals online and discounts on print volumes. Please visit http://www.nyas.org/MemberCenter/Join.aspx for more information about becoming a member.
Table of contents
Part I: Mitochondrial Disease Models:.
1. Mitochondria-Based Model for Fetal Origin of Adult Disease and Insulin Resistance: Hong Kyu Lee, Kyong Soo Park, Young Min Cho, Yun Yong Lee, and Youngmi Kim Pak.
2. Evolutional Analysis in Determining Pathogenic versus Nonpathogenic Mutations of ATPase 6 in Human Mitochondriopathy: Chin-Yuan Tzen and Tsu-Yen Wu.
3. Restoration of Mitochondrial Function in Cells with Complex I Deficiency: Yidong Bai, Jeong Soon Park, Jian-Hong Deng, Youfen Li, and Peiqing Hu.
4. Hearing Loss in Mitochondrial Disorders: Chang-Hung Hsu, Haeyoung Kwon, Cherng-Lih Perng, Ren-Kui Bai, Pu Dai, and Lee-Jun C. Wong.
5. Brain Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography in Patients with A3243G Mutation in Mitochondrial DNA tRNA: Peterus Thajeb, Ming-Che Wu, Bing-Fu Shih, Chin-Yuan Tzen, Ming-Fu Chiang, and Rey-Yue Yuan.
6. Upregulation of Matrix Metalloproteinase 1 and Disruption of Mitochondrial Network in Skin Fibroblasts of Patients with MERRF Syndrome: Yi-Shing Ma, Yin-Chiu Chen, Ching-You Lu, Chun-Yi Liu, and Yau-Huei Wei.
7. Increased Oxidative Damage with Altered Antioxidative Status in Type 2 Diabetic Patients Harboring the 16189 T to C Variant of Mitochondrial DNA: Tsu-Kung Lin, Shang-Der Chen, Pei-Wen Wang, Yau-Huei Wei, Cheng-Feng Lee, Tzu-Ling Chen, Yao-Chung Chuang, Teng-Yeow Tan, Ku-Chou Chang, and Chia-Wei Liou.
8. Alteration of the Copy Number of Mitochondrial DNA in Leukocytes of Patients with Hyperlipidemia: Chin-San Liu, Ching-Ling Kuo, Wen-Ling Cheng, Ching-Shan Huang, Cheng-Feng Lee, and Yau-Huei Wei.
9. A New Noninvasive Test to Detect Mitochondrial Dysfunction of Skeletal Muscles in Progressive Supranuclear Palsy: Yung-Yee Chang, Chiang-Hsuan Lee, Min-Yu Lan, Hsiu-Shan Wu, Chiung-Chih Chang, and Jia-Shou Liu.
10. High Prevalence of the COII/tRNALys Intergenic 9-bp Deletion in Mitochondrial DNA of Taiwanese Patients with MELAS or MERRF Syndrome: Chin-San Liu, Wen-Ling Cheng, Yi-Yun Chen, Yi-Shing Ma, Cheng-Yoong Pang, and Yau-Huei Wei.
Part II: Mitochondrial Genome:.
11. Analysis of Proteome Bound to D-Loop Region of Mitochondrial DNA by DNA-Linked Affinity Chromatography and Reverse-Phase Liquid Chromatography/Tandem Mass Spectrometry: Yon-Sik Choi, Bo-Kyung Ryu, Hye-Ki Min, Sang-Won Lee, and Youngmi Kim Pak.
12. Mitochondrial Transcription Factor A in the Maintenance of Mitochondrial DNA: Overview of Its Multiple Roles: Dongchon Kang and Naotaka Hamasaki.
13. Mitochondrial Genome Instability and mtDNA Depletion in Human Cancers. By Hsin-Chen Lee, Pen-Hui Yin, Jin-Ching Lin, Cheng-Chung Wu, Chih-Yi Chen, Chew-Wun Wu, Chin-Wen Chi, Tseng-Nip Tam, and Yau-Huei Wei.
14. Frequent Occurrence of Mitochondrial Microsatellite Instability in the D-Loop Region of Human Cancers: Yue Wang, Vincent W.S. Liu, Hextan Y.S. Ngan, and Phillip Nagley.
15. Analysis of Heteroplasmy in Hypervariable Region II of Mitochondrial DNA in Maternally Related Individuals: Mei-Chen Lo, Horng-Mo Lee, Ming-Wei Lin, and Chin-Yuan Tzen.
16. Deleted Mitochondrial DNA in Human Luteinized Granulosa Cells: Heng-Kien Au, Shyh-Hsiang Lin, Shih-Yi Huang, Tien-Shun Yeh, Chii-Ruey Tzeng, and Rong-Hong Hsieh.
17. Identification of Human-Specific Adaptation Sites of ATP6: Bey-Liing Mau, Horng-Mo Lee, and Chin-Yuan Tzen.
Part III: Mitochondrial Function:.
18. Repeated Ovarian Stimulations Induce Oxidative Damage and Mitochondrial DNA Mutations in Mouse Ovaries: Hsiang-Tai Chao, Shu-Yu Lee, Horng-Mo Lee, Tien-Ling Liao, Yau-Huei Wei, and Shu-Huei Kao.
19. Calcium Stimulates Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Human Granulosa Cells: Tien-Shun Yeh, Jau-Der Ho, Vivian Wei-Chung Yang, Chii-Ruey Tzeng, and Rong-Hong Hsieh.
20. Dynamics of Mitochondria and Mitochondrial Ca2+ near the Plasma Membrane of PC12 Cells: A Study by Multimode Microscopy: De-Ming Yang, Chung-Chih Lin, Hsia Yu Lin, Chien-Chang Huang, Din Ping Tsai, Chin-Wen Chi, and Lung-Sen Kao.
21. Propofol Specifically Inhibits Mitochondrial Membrane Potential but Not Complex I NADH Dehydrogenase Activity, Thus Reducing Cellular ATP Biosynthesis and Migration of Macrophages: Gong-Jhe Wu, Yu-Ting Tai, Ta-Liang Chen, Li-Ling Lin, Yune-Fang Ueng, and Ruei-Ming Chen.
22. Abnormal Mitochondrial Structure in Human Unfertilized Oocytes and Arrested Embryos: Heng-Kien Au, Tien-Shun Yeh, Shu-Huei Kao, Chii-Ruey Tzeng, and Rong-Hong Hsieh.
23. Oxidative Damage and Mitochondrial DNA Mutations with Endometriosis: Shu-Huei Kao, Hsieng-Chiang Huang, Rong-Hong Hsieh, Su-Chee Chen, Ming-Chuan Tsai, and Chii-Reuy Tzeng.
24. Neuroprotective Role of Coenzyme Q10 against Dysfunction of Mitochondrial Respiratory Chain at Rostral Ventrolateral Medulla during Fatal Mevinphos Intoxication in the Rat: F C.H. LI, H P TSENG, and A Y.W. Chang.
Part IV: Oxidative Stress:.
25. Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Oxidative Stress as Determinants of Cell Death/Survival in Stroke: Pak H. Chan.
26. Oxidative Damage in Mitochondrial DNA Is Not Extensive: Kok Seong Lim, Kandiah Jeyaseelan, Matthew Whiteman, andrew Jenner, and Barry Halliwell.
27. Enhanced Generation of Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species in Cybrids Containing 4977-bp Mitochondrial DNA Deletion: Mei-Jie Jou, Tsung-I Peng, Hong-Yueh Wu, and Yau-Huei Wei.
28. S-Nitrosoglutathione and Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-1 Confer Chemoresistance against Carbamoylating Cytotoxicity of BCNU in Rat C6 Glioma Cells: Ding-I Yang, Shang-Der Chen, Jiu-Haw Yin, and Chung Y. Hsu.
29. Celecoxib Induces Heme-Oxygenase Expression in Glomerular Mesangial Cells: Chun-Cheng Hou, Su-Li Hung, Shu-Huei Kao, Tso Hsiao Chen, and Horng-Mo Lee.
30. Oxidative Stress-Induced Depolymerization of Microtubules and Alteration of Mitochondrial Mass in Human Cells: Cheng-Feng Lee, Chun-Yi Liu, Rong-Hong Hsieh, and Yau-Huei Wei.
31. Blood Lipid Peroxides and Muscle Damage Increased following Intensive Resistance Training of Female Weightlifters: Jen-Fang Liu, Wei-Yin Chang, Kuei-Hui Chan, Wen-Yee Tsai, Chen-Li Lin, and Mei-Chieh Hsu.
32. Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidative Effects of Propofol on Lipopolysaccharide-Activated Macrophages: Ruei-Ming Chen, Tyng-Guey Chen, Ta-Liang Chen, Li-Ling Lin, Chia-Chen Chang, Hwa-Chia Chang, and Chih-Hsiung Wu.
33. Protective Effect of -Keto-ß-Methyl-n-Valeric Acid on BV-2 Microglia under Hypoxia or Oxidative Stress: Hsueh-Meei Huang, Hsio-Chung Ou, Huan-Lian Chen, Rolis Chien-Wei Hou, and Kee Ching G. Jeng.
34. Oxidative Toxicity in BV-2 Microglia Cells: Sesamolin Neuroprotection of H2O2 Injury Involving Activation of p38 Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase: Rolis Chien-Wei Hou, Chia-Chuan Wu, Jing-Rong Huang, Yuh-Shuen Chen, and Kee-Ching G. Jeng.
35. Angiotensin II Stimulates Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1 Accumulation in Glomerular Mesangial Cells: Tso-Hsiao Chen, Jin-Fong Wang, Paul Chan, and Horng-Mo Lee.
36. Effects of Glucose and -Tocopherol on Low-Density Lipoprotein Oxidation and Glycation: Chun-Jen Chang, Rong-Hong Hsieh, Hui-Fang Wang, Mei-Yun Chin, and Shih-Yi Huang.
37. Identification of Three Mutations in the Cu,Zn-Superoxide Dismutase (Cu,Zn-SOD) Gene with Familial Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: Transduction of Human Cu,Zn-SOD into PC12 Cells by HIV-1 TAT Protein Basic Domain: Chih-Ming Chou, Chang-Jen Huang, Chwen-Ming Shih, Yi-Ping Chen, Tsang-Pai Liu, and Chien-Tsu Chen.
38. Kainic Acid-Induced Oxidative Injury Is Attenuated by Hypoxic Preconditioning: Cheng-Hao Wang, Anyu Chang, May-Jywan Tsai, Henrich Cheng, Li-Ping Liao, and Anya Maan-Yuh Lin.
39. Antioxidant N-Acetylcysteine Blocks Nerve Growth Factor-Induced H2O2/ERK Signaling in PC12 Cells: Liang-Yo Yang, Wun-Chang Ko, Chun-Mao Lin, Jia-Wei Lin, Jen-Chine Wu, Chien-Ju Lin, Huey-Hwa Cheng, and Chwen-Ming Shih.
Part V: Antioxidants:.
40. Effect of Enhanced Prostacyclin Synthesis by Adenovirus-Mediated Transfer on Lipopolysaccharide Stimulation in Neuron-Glia Cultures: May-Jywan Tsai, Song-Kun Shyue, Ching-Feng Weng, Ying Chung, Dann-Ying Liou, Chi-Ting Huang, Huai-Sheng Kuo, Meng-Jen Lee, Pei-Teh Chang, Ming-Chao Huang, Wen-Cheng Huang, K D Liou, and Henrich Cheng.
41. Potential Mechanism of Blood Vessel Protection by Resveratrol, a Component of Red Wine: Huei-Mei Huang, Yu-Chih Liang, Tzu-Hurng Cheng, Cheng-Heien Chen, and Shu-Hui Juan.
42. Pravastatin Attenuates Ceramide-Induced Cytotoxicity in Mouse Cerebral Endothelial Cells with HIF-1 Activation and VEGF Upregulation: Shang-Der Chen, Chaur-Jong Hu, Ding-I Yang, Abdullah Nassief, Hong Chen, Kejie Yin, Jan Xu, and Chung Y. Hsu.
43. Alleviation of Oxidative Damage in Multiple Tissues in Rats with Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetes by Rice Bran Oil Supplementation: Rong-Hong Hsieh, Li-Ming Lien, Shyh-Hsiang Lin, Chia-Wen Chen, Huei-Ju Cheng, and Hsing-Hsien Cheng.
44. Curcumin Inhibits ROS Formation and Apoptosis in Methylglyoxal-Treated Human Hepatoma G2 Cells: Wen-Hsiung Chan, Hsin-Jung Wu, and Yan-Der Hsuuw.
45. Prevention of Cellular Oxidative Damage by an Aqueous Extract of Anoectochilus formosanus: Leng-Fang Wang, Chun-Mao Lin, Chwen-Ming Shih, Hui-Ju Chen, Borcherng Su, Cheng-Chuang Tseng, Bao-Bih Gau, and Kur-Ta Cheng.
46. Inhibitory Effects of a Rice Hull Constituent on Tumor Necrosis Factor , Prostaglandin E2, and Cyclooxygenase-2 Production in Lipopolysaccharide-Activated Mouse Macrophages: Sheng-Tung Huang, Chien-Tsu Chen, Kur-Ta Chieng, Shih-Hao Huang, Been-Huang Chiang, Leng-Fang Wang, Hsien-Saw Kuo, and Chun-Mao Lin.
47. Raffinee in the Treatment of Spinal Cord Injury: An Open-Labeled Clinical Trial: Hsin-Ying Chen, Jer-Min Lin, Hung-Yi Chuang, and Wen-Ta Chiu.
Part VI: Apoptosis:.
48. Induction of Thioredoxin and Mitochondrial Survival Proteins Mediates Preconditioning-Induced Cardioprotection and Neuroprotection: Chuang C. Chiueh, Tsugunobu andoh, and P Boon Chock.
49. Mitochondrion-Targeted Photosensitizer Enhances the Photodynamic Effect-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Apoptosis: Tsung-I Peng, Cheng-Jen Chang, Mei-Jin Guo, Yu-Huai Wang, Jau-Song Yu, Hong-Yueh Wu, and Mei-Jie Jou.
50. Attenuation of UV-Induced Apoptosis by Coenzyme Q10 in Human Cells Harboring Large-Scale Deletion of Mitochondrial DNA: Cheng-Feng Lee, Chun-Yi Liu, Shu-Mei Chen, Marianna Sikorska, Chen-Yu Lin, Tzu-Ling Chen, and Yau-Huei Wei.
51. Antisense RNA to Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase Reduces Cytokine-Mediated Brain Endothelial Cell Death: Ding-I Yang, Shawei Chen, Uthayashanker R. Ezekiel, Jan Xu, Yingji Wu, and Chung Y. Hsu.
52. 2,6-Diisopropylphenol Protects Osteoblasts from Oxidative Stress-Induced Apoptosis through Suppression of Caspase-3 Activation: Ruei-Ming Chen, Gong-Jhe Wu, Hwa-Chia Chang, Jue-Tai Chen, Tzeng-Fu Chen, Yi-Ling Lin, and Ta-Liang Chen.
53. Nitric Oxide Induces Osteoblast Apoptosis through a Mitochondria-Dependent Pathway: Wei-Pin Ho, Ta-Liang Chen, Wen-Ta Chiu, Yu-Ting Tai, and Ruei-Ming Chen.
54. Bcl-2 Gene Family Expression in the Brain of Rat Offspring after Gestational and Lactational Dioxin Exposure: Shwu-Fen Chang, Yu-Yo Sun, Liang-Yo Yang, Ssu-Yao Hu, Shih-Ying Tsai, Wen-Sen Lee, and Yi-Hsuan Lee.
55. IL-5 Inhibits Apoptosis by Upregulation of c-myc Expression in Human Hematopoietic Cells: Shu-Hui Juan, Jeffrey Jong-Young Yen, Horng-Mo Lee, and Huei-Mei Huang.
56. Detection of Apoptosis and Necrosis in Normal Human Lung Cells Using 1H NMR Spectroscopy: Chwen-Ming Shih, Wun-Chang Ko, Liang-Yo Yang, Chien-Ju Lin, Jui-Sheng Wu, Tsui-Yun Lo, Shwu-Huey Wang, and Chien-Tsu Chen.
57. Cadmium Toxicity toward Caspase-Independent Apoptosis through the Mitochondria-Calcium Pathway in mtDNA-Depleted Cells: Yung-Luen Shih, Chien-Ju Lin, Sheng-Wei Hsu, Sheng-Hao Wang, Wei-Li Chen, Mei-Tsu Lee, Yau-Huei Wei, and Chwen-Ming Shih.
58. Pectinesterase Inhibitor from Jelly Fig (Ficus awkeotsang Makino) Achene Induces Apoptosis of Human Leukemic U937 Cells: Jia-Huei Chang, Yuh-Tai Wang, and Hung-Min Chang.
59. Enhancement of Cisplatin-Induced Apoptosis and Caspase 3 Activation by Depletion of Mitochondrial DNA in a Human Osteosarcoma Cell Line: Hsiu-Chuan Yen, Yi-Chia Tang, Fan-Yi Chen, Shih-Wei Chen, and Hideyuki J. Majima.
60. Thallium Acetate Induces C6 Glioma Cell Apoptosis: Chee-Fah Chia, Soul-Chin Chen, Chin-Shyang Chen, Chuen-Ming Shih, Horng-Mo Lee, and Chih-Hsiung Wu.
61. Effects of Gonadotrophin-Releasing Hormone Agonists on Apoptosis of Granulosa Cells: Nu-Man Tsai, Rong-Hong Hsieh, Heng-Kien Au, Ming-Jer Shieh, Shih-Yi Huang, and Chii-Ruey Tzeng