Theology in the Public Square: Church, Academy, and Nation
1 Theology’s Babylonian Captivity in the Modern University.
2 Babylon in the Church: United States and England.
3 Cyrus Returns: Rebuilding the Temple in Babylon.
4 Why Theologians Must Pray for Release from Exile.
5 The Engagement of Virtue: a Theological Religious Studies.
6 The Marriage of the Disciplines: Explorations on the Frontier.
Epilogue: Theology: the Church at the Heart of the University Proclaiming the Word.
"This is an important book and I hope augurs more interaction between out different Christian educational traditions." (The Gospel and Our Culture)
"A well argued book … D'Costa has an invaluable argument on the key place of theology within the life of a faith. (Anvil)
"A stimulating read … Contains absorbing views on a wide range of current issues such as identity, secularization, ethics and politics … A timely and relevant challenge for those involved with Church or university theology in today's religiously volatile world." (International Journal of Public Theology)
- This thought-provoking study rethinks the nature of theology and its role in universities.
- The author sketches out a fascinating project using examples from US and UK institutions, whereby theology becomes a transformative force within universities.
- Imagines what a Christian university, in which all disciplines have been theologized, would look like.
- Feeds into discussions about the religious identity of denominationally-linked colleges and universities.
- Forms part of a wider attempt to imagine a vital public role for theology that enables it to serve both the Church and the wider community.