Table of contents
The Black Mirror Multiverse: An Editor’s Note
00. Black Mirror: What Science Fiction Does Best
By David Kyle Johnson with Leander P. Marquez and Sergio Urueña
01. The National Anthem and Weighing Moral Obligations: Is It Ever OK to F*ck a Pig?
By Brian J. Collins with Brandon Boesch
02. Fifteen Million Merits and Fighting the System: How Can We Resist?
By Chris Byron with Matthew Brake
03. The Entire History of You and Knowing Too Much: Should You Want the Grain?
By Gregor Balke and Bart Engelen
04. Be Right Back and Rejecting Tragedy: Would You Bring Back Your Deceased Loved One?
By Bradley Richards
05. White Bear and Criminal Punishment: How Far Is Too Far?
By Sid Simpson with Chris Lay
06. The Waldo Moment and Political Discourse: What’s Wrong with Disrespect in Politics?
By Greg Litman
The Christmas Special
07. White Christmas and Technological Restraining Orders: Are Digital Blocks Ethical?
By Laura Haaber Ihle and Cansu Canca
08. Nosedive and the Anxieties of Social Media: Is the Future Already Here?
By Sergio Urueña and Nonna Melikyan
09. Playtest and The Power of Virtual Reality: Are Our Fears Real?
By Claire Benn
10. Shut Up and Dance and Vigilante Justice: Should We Ever Take the Law into Our Own Hands?
By Juliele Maria Sievers and Luiz Henrique da Silva Santos
11. San Junipero and the Digital Afterlife: Could Heaven Be a Place on Earth?
By James Cook
12. Men Against Fire and Political Manipulation: How Are We Tricked into Dehumanizing Others?
By Bertha Alvarez Manninen
13. Hated in The Nation and #DeathTo: What are the Consequences of Trial by Twitter?
By Aline Maya
14. USS Callister and Non-Player-Characters: How Should We Act in Video Games?
By Russ Hamer with Steven Gubka
15. Arkangel and Parental Surveillance: What are a Parent’s Obligations?
By Catherine Villanueva Gardner with Alexander Christian
16. Crocodile and The Ethics of Self-Preservation: How Far is Too Far?
By Darci Doll
17. Hang the DJ and Digital Dating: Should We Use Computers to Help Us Find Mates?
By Skye C. Cleary and Massimo Pigliucci
18. Metalhead and Technophobia: How Dangerous Will Robots Be?
By Scott Midson with Justin Donhauser
19. Black Museum and Righting Wrongs: Should We Seek Revenge?
By Gregory L. Bock, Jeffrey L. Bock, and Kora Smith
20. Bandersnatch: A Choose Your Own Philosophical Adventure
By Chris Lay and David Kyle Johnson
21. Striking Vipers and Closed Doors: How Meaningful are Sexual Fantasies?
By Daren M. Slade
22. Smithereens and The Economy of Attention: Are We All Dopamine Addicts?
By Pieruca D’Amato
23. Empathy, Emulation, and Ashley Too: Can A Robot Be a Friend?
By George A. Dunn
Black Mirror Reflections
24. Conscious Technology in Black Mirror: Do Cookies Feel Pain?
By David Gamez with David Kyle Johnson
25. Personal Identity in Black Mirror: Is Your Cookie You?
By Molly Gardner and Robert Slone
26. Death in Black Mirror: How Should We Deal with Our Mortality?
By Edwardo Pérez and Sergio Genovesi
27. Love in Black Mirror: Who Do We Really Love?
By Robert Grant Price
28. Perception in Black Mirror: Who Controls What You See?
By Brian Stiltner and Anna Vaughn
29. The Dangers of Technology in Black Mirror: A Dialogue Between Uploaded Dead Philosophers
By Ben Springett with Luiz Borges
30. Black Mirror in the Future: Will We Still Be Watching?
By Geoffrey A. Mitelman
Appendix: How to use this book in the classroom