Not-for-Profit Certificate I
Not-for-Profit Certificate I
ISBN: 978-1-119-54516-3 April 2019
Whether you're a not-for-profit (NFP) professional or work with NFP clients, you can set yourself apart with the AICPA Not-for-Profit Certificate I (40 CPE Credits and 40 CAE Credits).
As of August 1, 2018, Not-for-Profit Certificate Program content has been updated to reflect implementation of FASB Accounting Standards Updates (ASUs) effective for most not-for-profit entities for their next financial reporting period, including those related to financial statement presentation (ASU 2016-14) and revenue recognition (ASU 2014-09 and ASU 2018-08).
The Not-for-Profit Certificate Program I, Winner of Accounting Today's Best New Products 2016, will help you build a strong foundation for NFP skills across these key tracks:
- Introduction to Not-for-Profit Entities
- Accounting & Financial Reporting
- Tax Compliance
- Governance & Assurance
Essential information for anyone with a non-profit role
You'll get a comprehensive overview of a non-profit's unique financial needs and is perfect for:
- CPA firms looking for foundational training for or NFP clients
- Nonprofits seeking to deepen staff knowledge
- Those seeking a certificate as proof of proficiency with NFP clients
- Professionals who want to expand skill sets and build their resume
Learn anytime, anywhere
This award-winning, self-paced e-learning course is available on-demand to suit your schedule—and all learning styles and levels, through:
- Audio and video
- Interactive skills practice and gamification
- Case studies and real-world scenarios
- Hands-on exercises
Earn credentials—and spotlight your accomplishment
With this Certificate program, you'll get both CPE and CAE credits. You'll also earn a digital badge, that lets you show your achievement anywhere on the web — a personal blog, a social network like LinkedIn, biographical page on your company's website or online resume. Your Certificate and digital badge information will be sent to you once you've completed the program.
Courses included in this program:
- Accounting and Financial Reporting Track
- Not-for-Profit Entity Overview
- GAAP for NFPs
- Financial Statement Presentation
- Net Assets
- Exchange and Agency Transactions
- Revenue from Contributions
- Programmatic Investments
- Fair Value Issues Specific to NFPs
- Split Interest Agreements and Endowments
- Tax Compliance Track
- Tax Exempt Status
- Tax Compliance Track
- Unrelated Business Income Tax
- Introduction to Form 990
- Private Foundations
- Federal and State Filing Requirements
- Not-for-Profit Governance and Assurance Track
- Best Practices in Board Governance
- Risk Assessment and Internal Controls
- Fraud Overview and Prevention
- Planning the Audit Engagement
- Financial Oversight, Budget and Strategy
- Auditing Considerations
- CPE CREDITS: Online: 40.0 (CPE credit info)
- CAE CREDITS: Online: 40.0 (CPE credit info)
- NASBA FIELD OF STUDY: Accounting, Auditing, Business Management & Organization, Taxes
- LEVEL: Basic
- PREREQUISITES: Knowledge of the not-for-profit industry
- ADVANCE PREPARATION: None
- YELLOW BOOK HOURS: Online - 31
- DELIVERY METHOD: QAS Self-Study
- COURSE ACRONYM: NFP-CERT
Online Access Instructions
A personal pin code is enclosed in the physical packaging that may be activated online upon receipt. Once activated, you will gain immediate online access to the product.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to be a CPA to get the certificate?
You do not have to be a CPA to obtain the certificate. The certificate is designed to benefit CPAs and non-CPA alike, including anyone who works for, or with, a nonprofit. Those who obtain the certificate will receive the recommended CPE / CAE credits.
- What level of knowledge should I possess prior to starting the NFP Certificate program?
While the program is designed to provide a foundational level of learning, individuals will benefit from having a basic understanding and awareness of financial reporting, auditing, governance and tax terminology and practices.
- How is the course material presented?
Designed to be highly interactive, this program offers multiple opportunities for learning, including case study analysis and several gaming scenarios. Participants will be offered the opportunity to apply their new NFP knowledge in a simulated real-world environment. Tests are presented after each course to allow you to apply what you just learned. There are no additional tests at the end of tracks or when you’ve completed the certificate.
- How long will it take me to complete?
This varies from individual to individual and is completely dependent upon the time the participant allocates to completing the coursework. A commitment of approximately 40 hours will be required for most individuals to successfully complete the program.
- What period of time do I have to complete the program?
You have twenty-four (24) months from the date of purchase to complete all the courses. You are encouraged to complete the program within a twelve (12) month period or less.
- Can I complete the program in any order?
Yes, there are no limitations on the order in which you take the courses.
- When will I receive a hard copy of my certificate?
You will receive your certificate in the mail 6-8 weeks after completing the program.
- Once I complete the program and obtain my Certificate, how long is it valid?
The NFP Certificate is not a professional credential or license, it is evidence that the program was successfully completed as of a certain year, therefore it does not expire. However, we anticipate that some individual courses may be updated every 1-3 years to reflect changes in the industry. For your certificate to remain current, you will need to successfully complete those updated courses. However, updates are likely to be at a fraction of the cost of the original certificate. Plus, you have access to the program for 24 months from purchase, if the courses are updated during that period, you will have access to the updated courses at no additional cost. Completion of these updated courses will earn a new Certificate, with the current year’s date.
- Is there any cost savings in purchasing the entire certificate over buying tracks individually?
Yes, the more courses you buy, the less you pay per course. For instance, a member who buys the certificate will save approximately $150 over someone who buys the tracks individually, and approximately $400 over someone who buys all the courses individually.
- If I were to purchase one course or track, and then decided to purchase the entire certificate, will I still get the full bundled price savings?
Yes, as long as you haven’t already paid more than the full certificate price. The price you paid for the courses or tracks you have already taken will be deducted from the total certificate price.
- If I am unable to complete the entire NFP Certificate Program, will I receive CPE credit for the courses I do complete?
You are not required to complete the entire program to earn CPE credit. The courses are offered individually, so you will earn CPE credit for each course you take and successfully complete the exam. However, you must successfully complete the exam for all courses in the entire program in order to receive the NFP Certificate.
- Am I required to obtain a certain number of CPE credits annually for the Certificate to remain current and active?
There are no specific annual requirements for maintaining your Certificate. However, we anticipate that some individual courses may be updated every 1-3 years to reflect changes in the industry. For your certificate to remain current, you will need to successfully complete those updated courses. However, updates are likely to be at a fraction of the cost of the original certificate. Plus, you have access to the program for 24 months from purchase, if the courses are updated during the access period, you will have access to the updated courses at no additional cost.
- I have prior experience working with NFPs. Will I be allowed to test out of certain courses while still earning the certificate?
Actual completion of the courses is required to earn the NFP Certificate. CPE credit is being awarded for the courses, and the CPE standards do not allow for “testing out of” a course as a way to earn credit.
AICPA’s online CPE courses will operate in a variety of configurations, but only the configuration described below is supported by AICPA technicians.
A stable and continuous internet connection is required. In order to record your completion of the online learning courses, please ensure you are connected to the internet at all times while taking the course. It is your responsibility to validate that CPE certificate(s) are available within your account after successfully completing the course and/or exam.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Macintosh OS X 10.10 to present
- Windows 7 to present
- Apple Safari
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
Required Browser Plug-ins:
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
Technical Support: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.