A History of Japan
A History of Japan
ISBN: 978-0-631-21447-2 April 2000 Wiley-Blackwell 660 Pages
Download Product Flyer
Table of contents
Part I: Beginnings:.
1. Geology, Climate, and Biota.
2. From Origins to Agriculture.
Part II: The Age of Dispersed Agriculturalists (400 BCE - 1250 CE):.
3. Political Consolidation to 671 CE.
4. Establishing the Ritsuryô Order (672-750).
5. Ritsuryô Adaptation and Decay (750-1250).
6. Classical Higher Culture (750-1250).
Part III: The Age of Intensive Agriculture (1250-1890):.
7. The Centuries of Disorder (1250-1890).
8. Medieval Higher Culture (1250-1550).
9. Establishing the Bakuhan Order (1550-1700).
10. The Age of Growth (1590-1700).
11. Stasis and Decay (1700-1850).
12. Crisis and Redirection (1800-1890).
Part IV: The Age of Industrialism: Early Decades (1890-Present):.
13. Early Imperial Triumph (1890-1914).
14. Early Imperial Society and Culture.
15. Later Imperial Politics and Economy (1914-1945).
16. Later Imperial Society and Culture (1914-1945).
17. Drift to Disaster (1914-1945).
18. Entrepreneurial Japan: Politics and Economy (1945-1990).
19. Society and Environment (1945-1990).
20. The Culture of Entrepreneurial Japan (1945-1990).
Epilogue: Japan Today and Tomorrow.
A. Tables I-X.
B. Chinese Words: Wade-Giles & Pinyin Orthographies.
C. Glossary of Japanese Terms.
"Not until Conrad Totman's A History of Japan has there been such a sophisticated and detailed record of Japan's past, one that combines and critiques the standard perspectives while adding a new vision all its own. In a word, this is the best single-volume examination of Japan's history available .. A History of Japan is a masterpiece." Monumenta Nipponica
"A clear and concise overview of the whole of Japanese history." History
"Students and the ... general reader ... will profit from engagement with this book." English Historical Review
"A History of Japan is one of the most perceptive and illuminating studies of Japan's history to have appeared in English in recent decades, and is likely to be widely used by teachers, students and researchers." Times Higher Education Supplement
"Totman's work reflects its author's erudition, expansive vision, and humanism. It will suit the needs of instructors and many general readers perfectly." David Howell, Princeton University, for the Journal of Japanese Studies
- Provides a complete history of the region from 8000 BC to the present day.
- Covers all varieties of history from cultural and social to economic and environmental.