- ORION Adaptive Practice: Every student has a different starting point, and adaptive practice provides endless opportunities for practice to effectively prepare for class or quizzes and exams. Active retrieval of information with practice questions is proven to improve retention of information better than re-reading or reviewing the material, and students who use adaptive practice to prepare for exams do significantly better than those who do not. Students begin with a quick, chapter-level diagnostic to determine their initial level of understanding, and they can use the dashboard and quick reports to see what topics they do and don’t know.
- Mind Map Activities: These activities at the end of each course section are designed to engage students in critical thinking about the concepts and key terminology covered in the section and help students explore the relationships between them.
- Key Processes: Key processes are highlighted throughout the course and help students organize their learning. The five processes that are key to most of the physiology presented in this course are: osmosis and diffusion energy storage and transfer, DNA, protein structure and function, and cellular structure and function.
- Animated Concepts: Students can view over 150 animations to help them visualize the key concepts in the course.
- Visual Podcasts:Designed around the course learning objectives, these podcasts provide audio narration coupled with visuals to drill into the core concepts of each course section.
- Interactive Process Diagrams: Interactive process diagrams provide additional visual examples as well as descriptive narratives of the diagrams that appear throughout the course. Interactive process diagrams allow students to build the process interactively to be sure they fully understand the process.
- Built in Study Guides: Study guides teach students how to read visuals more effectively along with better study habits. Each course section starts with a guided tour which includes a section outline and section planner. Concept check questions at the end of all sections cover the learning objectives.