Introduction: What’s The Big Idea?.
1. Being Human.
2. The History of 'Art'.
3. The 'History of Art'.
4. 'Art,' Lately.
5. 'Art' and Language.
6. (Re)Thinking 'Art'.
8. Or, Maybe . ..
“In-depth examination of art told in plain, lively language … [which] will allow seasoned art thinkers to reevaluate and, hopefully, reaffirm their love of art.” Art Blog by Bob
- Written by an award-winning teacher as a response to students’ ongoing challenge, "What is ‘art’, anyway, and why should I care?”
- Introduces readers to what the term 'art' has meant throughout Western cultural history, what it is and what it isn’t, and what it might usefully be thought to mean in our time
- Aims to bring readers into a meaningful relationship with art and teaches them to think critically and creatively about it - and by extension, about anything else
- Provides an ideal introduction to the field for students and anyone interested in art today
- Offers a jargon-free, common-sense basis from which to approach the theories that dominate the art world today, for readers who may wish to pursue them further