DescriptionThis unique resource provides 190 high-interest, ready-to-use activities to help students master basic math skills— including whole numbers, decimals, fractions, percentages, money concepts, geometry and measurement, charts and graphs, and pre-algebra— for use with students of varying ability levels.
All activities are classroom-tested and presented in a variety of entertaining formats, such as puzzles, crosswords, matching, word/number searches, number substitutions, and more. Plus, many activities include ""Quick Access Information"" flags providing helpful information on key concepts.
About the Hooked on Learning Library.
About This Book.
SECTION 1: ESSENTIAL STRATEGIES FOR WHOLE NUMBER SKILLS.
1. The Math Completion Puzzle.
2. Adding Sweet 7’s Through the Grid.
3. Adding Sweet 8’s Through the Grid.
4. Addition Number Boxes.
5. The Wonderful Addition Puzzle.
6. Subtraction Number Boxes.
7. The Wonderful Subtraction Puzzle: Part One.
8. The Wonderful Subtraction Puzzle: Part Two.
9. Being Careful in Math.
10. Math Connections.
11. The Wonderful Multiplication Puzzle.
12. Shady Division.
13. Logical Deductive Reasoning.
14. The Wonderful Division Puzzle: Part One.
15. The Wonderful Division Puzzle: Part Two.
16. The Wonderful Division Puzzle: Part Three.
17. Multiplication and Division Crossnumber Puzzle.
18. Rounding Off Whole Numbers.
19. Prime Number Gaps.
20. The Prime Number Division Chart.
21. Composite Number Gaps.
22. Greatest Common Factor and Least Common Multiple.
23. The Rhyming Variety Page.
24. The Partially Completed Choice Puzzle.
25. The Number Match Game.
26. Take Your Pick.
27. Vertical and Horizontal Calculations.
28. The James Q. Dandy (Jim Dandy) Variety Puzzle.
29. Math Puzzle Boxes.
30. Center Math Vocabulary.
31. Definition Puzzle on Whole Number Terms.
32. Skills Mastery Test—Whole Numbers: Part One.
33. Skills Mastery Test—Whole Numbers: Part Two.
SECTION 2: GETTING TO THE POINT WITH DECIMALS.
34. Adding Decimals.
35. True or False Decimals.
36. Move the Gears: Part One (Addition of Decimals).
37. Subtracting Decimals.
38. Move the Gears: Part Two (Subtraction of Decimals).
39. Multiplying Decimals.
40. Move the Gears: Part Three (Multiplication of Decimals).
41. Double-Up Decimals.
42. Dividing Decimals.
43. Move the Gears: Part Four (Division of Decimals).
44. Rounding Off and Comparing Decimal Numbers.
45. Expressing Decimals as Fractions: Part One.
46. Expressing Decimals as Fractions: Part Two.
47. Humans vs. Aliens: Metric Comparison/Conversion.
48. The Great Overlapping Math Puzzle.
49. Four-Function Crossnumber Choice Puzzle.
50. Cruising Route 66 with Math.
51. Pirate Math.
52. More Pirate Math.
53. Decimal Stew: Tenths Place.
54. Decimal Stew: Hundreths Place.
55. Decimal Stew: Thousandths Place.
56. The Velocity Page.
57. Definition Puzzle on Decimals.
58. Skills Mastery Test—Decimals: Part One.
59. Skills Mastery Test—Decimals: Part Two.
SECTION 3: FRACTIONS IN THE LEARNING PROCESS.
60. The Eight-Piece Fraction Puzzle: Part One.
61. The Eight-Piece Fraction Puzzle: Part Two.
62. Finding the Value of Names: Part One.
63. Finding the Value of Names: Part Two.
64. Cool Name Fractions.
65. Subtraction with Common Denominators: Part One.
66. Subtraction with Common Denominators: Part Two.
67. Subtraction with Common Denominators: Part Three.
68. Addition, Subtraction, and Substitution Using Fractions.
69. Boxing Up the Multiplication of Fractions.
70. Interesting Name Math.
71. Bubble-Bath Math.
72. The Zippy Way to Equivalent Fractions.
73. Division of Fractions: Part One.
74. Division of Fractions: Part Two.
75. Dividing Whole Numbers and Mixed Numbers by Fractions.
76. Fraction Squares.
77. Fractions Are a Breeze.
78. Life Span Math Questions: Part One (Expressing Decimal and Fraction Equivalents).
79. Life Span Math Questions: Part Two (Expressing Fractions as Decimals and Decimals as Fractions).
80. Expressing Fractions as Decimals: Part One.
81. Expressing Fractions as Decimals: Part Two.
82. The Fraction Name Game.
83. Simplifying Fractions.
84. Definition Puzzle on Fraction Terms.
85. Skills Mastery Test—Fractions: Part One.
86. Skills Mastery Test—Fractions: Part Two.
SECTION 4: UNDERSTANDING PERCENT FOR SKILL DEVELOPMENT.
87. Percent Basics (Fractions to % and % to Decimals).
88. Understanding Values Less than 1%.
89. Fraction, Decimal, and Percent Equivalents.
90. Greater than 100%.
91. Percent Stew.
92. Relating Percent to Diagrams.
93. Presidential Percentages.
94. Percent of a Hot Rod by Weight.
95. Geo Math.
96. Monster Math.
97. Calculating Percent of Gain or Increase.
98. Calculating Percent of Loss or Decrease.
99. Understanding Percent from the Decimal Place.
100. Definition Puzzle on Percent.
101. Skills Mastery Test—Percentage.
SECTION 5: MONEY CONCEPTS FOR THE MODERN CLASSROOM.
102. The Monthly Budget.
103. Better Buying Power—Division of Money.
104. The True Cost of an Item—Hours of Work Required.
105. Wages, Deductions, and Taxes.
106. Money Stew (+, -): Part One.
107. Money Stew (+, -, x, /): Part Two.
108. The Real Cost of Borrowing.
109. The Cost of a Tiger.
110. The Cost of a Dump Truck.
111. Comparing the U.S. Dollar to Other Currencies.
112. Making Change.
113. The Good Ol’ Days, 1934.
114. The More Recent Good Ol’ Days, 1955.
115. Adding Money.
116. Subtracting Money.
117. Multiplying Money.
118. Multiplying Money with the Help of Mr. Washington.
119. Multiplication and Subtraction with Money.
120. Multiplication with Money.
121. Dividing Money.
122. Dividing Your Good Fortune.
123. Definition Puzzle on Money.
124. Skills Mastery Test—Money.
SECTION 6: GEOMETRY AND MEASUREMENT: FACTS AND INSIGHTS.
125. Measure Math Match.
126. Geometry Angles.
127. Measuring Triangles.
128. Complementary and Supplementary Angles.
129. Measuring Angles.
130. Metric Measurement.
131. Congruent Line Segments.
132. Congruent Angles.
133. Finding the Perimeter of Figures.
134. A Serious Perimeter!
135. Perimeter Questions About Shane’s Hat.
136. Finding Perimeters of Figures or Shapes.
137. The Area of a Triangle.
138. The Area of Old MacDonald’s Farm.
139. The Circumference of a Circle.
140. The Area of a Circle.
141. The Volume of Cubes and Rectangular Prisms.
142. The Volume of Pyramids and Cones.
143. Map Strategies: Part One.
144. Map Strategies: Part Two.
145. Definition Puzzle on Geometry and Measurement Terms.
146. Skills Mastery Test—Geometry and Measurement: Part One.
147. Skills Mastery Test—Geometry and Measurement: Part Two.
SECTION 7: CHARTS AND GRAPHS TO STIMULATE AND ENRICH.
148. The Horizontal Bar Graph.
149. A Cool Bar Graph.
150. A Cool Bar Graph (Continued).
151. The Picture Graph.
152. The Line Graph in Action.
153. Constructing a Line Graph.
154. Circle Graphs or Pie Charts.
155. Circle Graphs or Pie Charts: Questions.
156. Circle Graphs or Pie Charts: More Questions.
157. Reading a Chart on Snowboarding.
158. Definition Puzzle on Graphs and Charts.
159. Skills Mastery Test—Graphs and Charts.
SECTION 8: HOOKED ON RATIO, PROBABILITY, AND AVERAGE.
160. Probability: Ten Thinking Questions.
161. Probability: Reading Story Problems.
162. The Application of Average or Mean.
163. Mean, Mode, and Median.
164. Alpha-Numerical Puzzle.
165. Introduction to Ratios.
166. Ratio Word Problems.
167. Three-Term Ratios.
168. Understanding Forms (Ratio, Fraction, and Written).
169. Proportions Explained.
170. Definition Puzzle on Ratios, Probability, and Average.
171. Skills Mastery Test—Ratio, Probability, and Average.
SECTION 9: PRE-ALGEBRA AND EARLY ALGEBRA SKILL BUILDERS.
172. Understanding “N” and “X” in Math.
173. Using the Word “of” in Math.
174. Balance in Algebra.
175. The Order of Operations.
176. A Look at the Language of Algebra.
177. What Are Exponents?
178. Substitution Box Questions in Early Algebra.
179. Basic Equations: Side Balancing.
180. Different Forms of Basic Equations (Number Sentences).
181. Quick Algebra, Right Now.
182. Translating from Words to Numbers.
183. Positive and Negative Numbers.
184. Perimeter Expressions.
185. Understanding Integers.
186. Locating Integers on a Number Plane (Grid).
187. Square and Square Root Made Easy.
188. Definition Puzzle on Pre-Algebra and Early Algebra Terms.
189. Skills Mastery Test—Pre-Algebra and Early Algebra: Part One.
190. Skills Mastery Test—Pre-Algebra and Early Algebra: Part Two.