List of Figures ix
List of Contributors xiii
1 Britain and the Continent: Networks of Interaction 1
2 Society and Polity in Late Iron Age Britain 12
3 The Native Elite and their Funerary Practices from the First Century BC to Nero 30
4 The Claudian Conquest and its Consequences 42
5 The Conquest of Wales 60
6 The Roman Penetration of the North in the Late First Century AD 75
7 Soldier and Civilian in Wales 91
8 The Northern Frontier of Britain from Trajan to Antoninus Pius: Roman Builders and Native Britons 114
9 Scotland and the Northern Frontier: Second to Fourth Centuries AD 136
W. S. Hanson
10 Cities and Urban Life 162
Michael J. Jones
11 Gallo-British Deities and their Shrines 193
12 Roman Religion and Roman Culture in Britain 220
13 The Human Population: Health and Disease 242
Charlotte Roberts and Margaret Cox
14 The Family in Roman Britain 273
15 Personal Ornament 288
16 Textiles and Dress 299
John Peter Wild
17 Economic Structures 309
18 Rural Settlement in Northern Britain 327
19 Rural Settlement in Southern Britain: A Regional Survey 349
20 Domestic Animals and their Uses 371
21 The Army in Late Roman Britain 393
22 Britain in the Fourth Century 409
Simon Esmonde Cleary
23 The Final Phase 428
24 The Rediscovery of Roman Britain 443
"The authors are leading researchers and their individual statements all contain a wealth of information and interpretation which will make the Companion a useful resource." Britannia
- Major survey of the history and culture of Roman Britain.
- Brings together specialists to provide an overview of recent debates about this period.
- Exceptionally broad coverage, embracing political, economic, cultural and religious life.
- Focuses on changes in Roman Britain from the first century bc to the fifth century ad.
- Includes pioneering studies of the human population and animal resources of the island.