Notes on Contributors.
Part I: Meaning and Theories of Meaning.
1. Meaning and Truth Conditions: From Frege's Grand Design to Davidson's. (David Wiggins).
2. Meaning, Use, Verification. (John Skorupski).
3. Intention and Convention. (Anita Avramides).
4. Pragmatics. (Charles Travis).
5. A Guide to Naturalising Semantics. (Charles Travis).
6. Meaning and Privacy. (Edward Craig).
7. Tacit Knowledge. (Alexander Miller).
8. Radical Interpretation. (Jane Heal).
9. Propositional Attitudes. (Mark Richard).
10. Holism. (Christopher Peacocke).
11. Metaphor. (Richard Moran).
Part II: Language, Truth and Reality.
12. Realism and its Oppositions. (Bob Hale).
13. Theories of Truth. (Ralph C. S. Walker).
14. Analyticity. (Paul Artin Boghossian).
15. Rule-following, Objectivity and Meaning. (Bob Hale).
16. The Interdeterminacy of Translation.(Crispin Wright).
17. Putnam's Model-theoretical Argument against Metaphysical Realism. (Bob Hale and Crispin Wright).
18. Sorites. (R. M. Sainsbury and Timothy Williamson).
Part III: Reference, Identity and Necessity.
19. Modality. (Bob Hale).
20. Essentialism. (Graeme Forbes).
21. Reference and Necessity. (Robert Stalnaker).
22. Names and Rigid Designation. (Jason Stanley).
23. Indexicals and Demonstratives. (John Perry).
24. Objects and Criteria of Identity. (E. J. Lowe).
25. Relative Identity. (Harold Noonan).