With new entries and sensitive edits, this fifth edition places J.A. Cuddon’s indispensable dictionary firmly in the 21st Century.
- Written in a clear and highly readable style
- Comprehensive historical coverage extending from ancient times to the present day
- Broad intellectual and cultural range
- Expands on the previous edition to incorporate the most recent literary terminology
- New material is particularly focused in areas such as gender studies and queer theory, post-colonial theory, post-structuralism, post-modernism, narrative theory, and cultural studies.
- Existing entries have been edited to ensure that topics receive balanced treatment
Preface to the Fifth Edition by M. A. R. Habib vi
Preface to the Fourth Edition by C. E. Preston viii
Preface to the Third Edition by J. A. Cuddon x
List of Abbreviations xvii
A-Z of Entries 1-784
“Summing Up: Recommended. Lower- and upper-level undergraduate students in English and comparative literatures; general readers.” (Choice, 1 August 2013)