List of Illustrations vi
Anglo-Saxon England and Its Literature: A Social History 1
1 The Chronology and Varieties of Old English Literature 36
2 Literature of the Alfredian Period 48
3 Homilies 70
4 Saints’ Legends, by Rachel S. Anderson 87
5 Biblical Literature 106
6 Liturgical and Devotional Texts 120
7 Legal, Scientific, and Scholastic Works 148
8 Wisdom Literature and Lyric Poetry 164
9 Germanic Legend and Heroic Lay 193
Making Old English New: Anglo-Saxonism and the Cultural Work of Old English Literature 225
Works Cited 269
Professor Daniel Donoghue, HarvardUniversity
- Introduces Old English texts and considers their relation to Anglo-Saxon culture.
- Responds to renewed emphasis on historical and cultural contexts in the field of medieval studies.
- Treats virtually the entire range of textual types preserved in Old English.
- Considers the production, reception and uses of Old English texts.
- Integrates the Anglo-Latin backgrounds crucial to understanding Old English literature.
- Offers very extensive bibliographical guidance.
- Demonstrates that Anglo-Saxon studies is uniquely placed to contribute to current literary debates.