DescriptionCardiac intervention is a fast expanding field of medicine that is reducing the need for cardiac surgery. A Nurse's Guide to Caring for Cardiac Intervention Patients will enable nurses to fully prepare their patients and families for various cardiac intervention procedures.
- Explanations of what the heart condition is and how the procedure may relieve that condition
- Descriptions of what the patient can expect to happen before, during and after the procedure
- What nurses should observe for post procedure, and how to address any complications that may occur
- Guidelines for discharge advice
- Outlines for a pre and post care plan for each procedure – based on the latest research and experience.
Nurses will find the book informative on common interventional procedures, but it is also designed as a tool to be dipped into when caring for patients with more unusual procedures. This practical book includes chapters on: cardiac catheterisation; percutaneous coronary intervention; percutaneous balloon mitral valvuloplasty; removal of femoral sheaths; cardioversion; temporary and permanent pacemakers.
1 Access Sites of Percutaneous Procedures 1
2 Removal of Femoral Sheaths 9
3 Complications Associated with Percutaneous Coronary Procedures 21
4 Cardiac Catheterisation 33
5 Percutaneous Coronary Intervention 53
6 Percutaneous Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasty 81
7 Atrial Septal Defect Closure 99
8 Electrophysiology Studies and Radio-Frequency Ablation 115
9 Cardioversion 137
10 Temporary Pacemakers 155
11 Permanent Pacemakers 177
12 Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators 201
13 Common Problems Associated with Permanent Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators 225
Glossary of Terms 239
List of Abbreviations 259
""...written by a nurse for nurses and addresses the current issues that are encountered when persons undergo cardiac intervention."" (British Journal of Cardiac Nursing, October 2007)