DescriptionA new, case-oriented and practical guide to one of the core techniques in respiratory medicine and critical care.
- Concise, practical reference designed for use in the critical care setting
- Case-oriented content is organised according to commonly encountered clinical scenarios
- Flow charts and algorithms delineate appropriate treatment protocols
1. NIV introduction.
2. NIV Physiology.
3. NIV Acute Respiratory Dailure COPD.
4. NIV Acute Respiratory Failure CHF.
5. NIV Acute Respiratory Failure other than COPD or CHF.
6. NIV for Chronic Respiratory Failure - COPD.
7. NIV Chronic Repiratory Failure other than COPD.
Part II - Invasive Mechanical Ventilation.
1. Respiratory Failure.
2. Airway Management Chapters.
a. Bag-valve-mask ventilation.
b. Endotracheal intubation.
c. Cuff leaks.
d. The Difficult Airway.
e. Emergent Cricothyroidotomy.
3. Ventilator Mechanics.
5. Assessing Lung Physiology.
6.Mechanical Ventilation in Restrictive Lung Disease.
7. Mechanical Ventilation in Obstructive Lung Disease.
8.Ancillary Methods to Mechanical Ventilation.
9.Patient Outcomes post Mechanical Ventilation.
Part III - Discontinuation from Mechanical Ventilation.
2. Readiness testing and predictors.
3. Physiologic barriers.
4. Ventilatory modes used during weaning.
6. Adjuncts to facilitate weaning.
8. Putting it all together: protocols and algorithms.