DescriptionThis is the first volume to be published in an exciting new series of classic collections in philosophy.
1. Republic, Book 10: Plato.
2. Poetics, Chapters 1-13: Aristotle.
3. Against Music:Mo Tzu.
A Discussion of Music: Hsun Tzu.
4. Enneads, 1.6: Plotinus.
5. Quotes on Painting: Shih-t'oa.
6. Of the Standard Taste: Hume.
7. Critique of Aesthetic Judgement 1-13, 16, 23-4, 28: Kant.
8. On the Aesthetic Education of Man, Letters 26-7: Schiller.
9. Introduction to Aesthetics, Chapters 1-3: Hegel.
10. The World as Will and Representation, Vol I 52: Schopenhauer.
11. On Art: Tolstoy.
12. Art, Chapter 1: Bell.
13. The Dance of Siva, Chapters 2-3: Coomaraswamy.
14. Art as Experience, Chapter 1: Dewey.
15. On the Origin of the Work of Art: Heidegger.
16. The Principles of Art, Chapter 7: Collingwood.
<!--end-->"What Cooper offers is a manageable, wide-ranging yet economical, and carefully reasoned selection for beginning students in aesthetics." Joseph Margolis, Temple University
* Contains essays from Asian philosophers to provide a comprehensive guide to the topic.
* Begins with a short introduction to set the historical and philosophical scene.