The 3rd edition of Cynthia Young's Algebra and Trigonometry brings together all the elements that have allowed instructors and learners to successfully "bridge the gap" between classroom instruction and independent homework by overcoming common learning barriers and building confidence in students' ability to do mathematics. Written in a clear, voice that speaks to students and mirrors how instructors communicate in lecture, Young's hallmark pedagogy enables students to become independent, successful learners. Varied exercise types and modeling projects keep the learning fresh and motivating. The seamless integration of Cynthia Young's Algebra and Trigonometry, 3rd edition with WileyPLUS, a research-based, online environment for effective teaching and learning, continues Young's vision of building student confidence in mathematics because it takes the guesswork out of studying by providing them with a clear roadmap: what to do, how to do it, and whether they did it right.
WileyPLUS sold separately from text.
Chapter 1: Equations And Inequalities
Chapter 2: Graphs
Chapter 3: Functions And Their Graphs
Chapter 4: Polynomial And Rational Functions
Chapter 5: Exponential And Logarithmic Functions
Chapter 6: Trigonometric Functions
Chapter 7: Analytic Trigonometry
Chapter 8: Additional Topics In Trigonometry
Chapter 9: Systems Of Linear Equations And Inequalities
Chapter 10: Matrices
Chapter 11: Analytic Geometry and Systems of Nonlinear Equations and Inequalities
Chapter 12: Sequences, Series, And Probability
- New Applications Added: Applications to Economics, Business, Environmental Science, and Health have been added to each chapter to augment existing applications on Finance, Biology, and Chemistry.
- Inquiry-Based Learning Projects added to every chapter! These projects actively involve students in the learning process, aiding in understanding and mastery of the material.
- Revised and Enriched Exercise Sets Throughout
- Updated “Technology Tips”: Optional technology tips in the margin demonstrate how students can use technology to confirm analytic solutions.
- Chapter Revisions: Section 1.4 now includes additional material and new exercises covering radical equations. New material has been added to Section 2.3 on Lines.
- NEW Section 2.5 covering Least-square Linear Regression.
- Clear, Concise and Inviting Writing. The author's engaging and clear presentation is presented in a layout that is designed to reduce math anxiety in students.
- Author Lecture Videos. For review at home or for a class missed, Cynthia Young has recorded over 300 instructional videos including worked examples and "Your Turn" problems from the text. These videos can be found in WileyPLUS and are denoted in the text with an icon.
- WileyPLUS, accompanied with Young, Algebra & Trigonometry3rd edition, provides a research based, online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS builds students’ confidence because it takes the guesswork out of studying by providing students with a clear roadmap: what to do, how to do it, if they did it right.
- Six Different Types of Exercises. Every chapter has skill, application, catch the mistake, challenge, conceptual, and technology exercises. The exercises gradually increase in difficulty and vary skill and conceptual emphasis.
- Correct vs. Incorrect. In addition to standard examples, some problems are worked both correctly and incorrectly to highlight common errors students make. Counter examples, like these, are often an effective learning approach for many students.
- Catch the Mistake. In every section, ‘Catch the Mistake’ exercises put the students in the role of the instructor grading homework which increases the depth of understanding and reinforces what they have learned.
- Your Turn. Students are often asked to work a problem immediately following an example to reinforce and check their understanding. This helps them build confidence as they progress in the chapter. These are ideal for in-class activity and preparing the student to work homework later.
- Parallel Words and Math. This text reverses the common presentation of examples by placing the explanation in words on the left and the mathematics in parallel on the right. This makes it easier for students to read through examples as the material flows more naturally and as commonly presented in lecture.
- Modeling Our World. Found in every chapter, these projects engage students by using real world data to model mathematical applications found in everyday life.
- Chapter Cumulative Test. Included at the end of each chapter to assess and improve students' retention of material.