List of Illustrations vii
1 Big 6
Expansion and its Discontents 12
The City 19
Representing Nature 36
The Sense of Place 48
2 Rich 60
Weber and Veblen: Reasons to Work and Reasons to Spend 66
Work and Identity 79
Labor Reform 91
Consumption and Identity 99
3 New 110
Beginning Anew: Crevecoeur and Hawthorne 115
Young America 119
Making It New I: Literary Modernism 128
Making It New II: The Other Arts 149
4 Free 165
The Multiple Meanings of Freedom 170
War and the Affirmation of American Values 173
Writing War 180
Upstream Against the Mainstream 187
“An Inescapable Network of Mutuality” 203
Websites for Further Study of American Literature and Culture 215
- A novel introduction to American literature and culture from 1900-1960.
- Illustrates the artistic and social climate in the USA during this period.
- Organized by four ideas about America: that it is “big”, “new”, “rich” and “free”.
- Juxtaposes discussion of history, popular culture, literature and other art forms in ways that foster discussion, questioning, and continued study.
- An appendix lists relevant primary and secondary works, including websites.
- An ideal supplement to primary texts taught in American literature courses.