List of Illustrations.
List of Maps.
Preface and Acknowledgments.
How to Use This Book.
Greek Weights, Measures, Coins, and the Athenian Calendar.
Introduction: The Evidence for Greek History and Culture.
1. The World of Homer.
2. The World of Hesiod.
3. The Early Greek Polis (City-State), Ethnos and Federal States.
4. Settlements Across the Sea: Greek “Colonization”.
5. Aristocratic Power and Attitudes.
6. Archaic Tyranny.
7. Archaic and Classical Sparta.
8. Hoplites and Their Values.
9. Archaic Athens From Draco to Solon.
10. Tyranny in Athens.
11. Cleisthenes and Athenian Democracy (508/7).
12. Archaic Society and Culture: Gender, Sexuality, Banquet and Competition.
13. Archaic Law.
14. Archaic Greek Religion.
15. The Ionian Revolt: Persians and Greeks.
16. The Battle of Marathon (490).
17. The Persian War (480-79).
18. The Athenian Empire.
19. Empowering Athenian Democracy (462/1-451/0).
20. War and Peace in Greece (461/0-437/6).
21. The Administration of the Empire and the Athenian Tribute Quota Lists.
22. The City of Athens.
23. The Sophists, Athenian Democracy and Its Critics.
24. The Causes of the Peloponnesian War and the Athenian and Spartan Strategies.
25. The Peloponnesian War: The Archidamian War (431-21).
26. Finances and Allies During the Archidamian War.
27. The Uneasy Peace and the Sicilian Expedition (421-413).
28. The Peloponnesian War: the Decelean War (413-404).
29. The Rule of the Thirty, The Athenian Amnesty and Socrates’ Trial.
30. Sparta After The Peloponnesian War: Politics, Wealth and Demography.
31. The Spartan Hegemony, the Corinthian War and the Peace of Antalcidas (404/3-388/7).
32. From the Peace of Antalcidas (387) to the Battle of Leuctra and Its Aftermath (371).
33. Jason of Pherae (? – 370).
34. Athenian Imperialism and Theban Hegemony.
35. Running the Athenian Polis: Politics, Finances, Grain and Trade in the Fourth Century.
36. Metics (Resident Aliens), Slaves and Barbarians.
37. Masculine and Feminine Gender in Classical Athens.
38. Philip II of Macedonia (359-336).
39. Alexander the Great (336-323).
Index of Ancient Sources.