List of Abbreviations.
1. Why Divination?.
2. The Divine Experience Part One: Delphi and Dodona.
3. The Divine Experience Part Two: Claros, Didyma and Others.
4. Freelance Divination: The Mantis.
5. The Mantis and the Magician.
"This is a very accessible volume that explores the complicated roles and methods of divination throughout the Greek world. Johnston successfully elucidates the uses, importance, and pliancy of divination in the ancient world using both Greek and Roman sources. She bravely approaches this inherently vague realm and has created a text that is very useful in its breadth and scope." (Religious Studies Review, June 2010)
"Johnston has made a fine exposition and analysis of a wide variety of ancient evidence, well-supported by current scholarship and her own careful interpretations.” (Bryn Mawr Classical Review, May 2009)
“With Ancient Greek Divination, Johnston makes another outstanding contribution to the study of Greek religion.” (Choice Reviews, May 2009)
- The first English-language survey of ancient Greek divinatory methods
- Offers in-depth discussions of oracles, wandering diviners, do-it-yourself methods of foretelling the future, magical divinatory techniques, and much more
- Illustrates how the study of divination illuminates the mentalities of ancient Greek religions and societies