DescriptionAncient Greek Religion: Historical Sources in Translation presents a wide range of documents relating to the religious world of the ancient Greeks from the earliest surviving literature to around the end of the fourth century BCE.
- Presents a wide range of documents relating to the religious world of the ancient Greeks, from the earliest surviving literature to around the end of the fourth century BCE
- Provides extensive background information for readers with no previous knowledge of classical studies
- Brings together new and rare passages for comparison – with occasional new interpretations – to appeal to professionals
- Offers a variety of less frequently examined material and looks at familiar texts in new ways
- Includes the use of extensive cross-referencing to indicate the interconnectedness of different aspects of religious practice and thought
- Includes the most comprehensive commentary and updated passages available in a single volume
List of illustrations/acknowledgements.
1. Gods and Religion.
3. Closeness and Distance.
4. Ritual Contexts.
5. Sanctuaries I.
6. Sanctuaries II.
Suggestions for further reading.