Animal Welfare: Limping Towards Eden: A Practical Approach to Redressing the Problem of Our Dominion Over the Animals
1. Introduction: Facts and Values.
2. Challenge and Response.
3. Sentience, Sense and Sufferering.
4. Husbandry and Welfare on the Farm: Assessment and Assurance.
5. Animals for Food: Indutrialized Farming, Pigs and Poultry.
6. Animals for Food: Cattle and Other Ruminants.
7. Animals for Food: Handling, Transport and Slaughter.
8. Animals for Science and Biotechnology.
9. Animals for Sport.
10. Animals as Pets.
11. Limping Towards Eden: Stepping Stones.
"The book quickly offers remedies in the form of practical and realistic hope, conveyed with an honest, personal and at times amusing style."
Veterinary Record, 2005
- Part of the new UFAW Animal Welfare Series
- Written by one of the most highly regarded animal welfare scientists in the world
- Incorporates both scientific review of evidence with ethical analysis of values – two usually polarised themes.
- Explains how working protocols can be implemented on farms, in laboratories and in recreation