Introduction: Robert A. LeVine and Rebecca S. New.
Part I: Discovering Diversity in Childhood: Early Works:.
1. Plasticity in Child Development: Franz Boas.
2. The Ethnography of Childhood: Margaret Mead.
3. Childhood in the Trobriand Islands, Melanesia: Bronislaw Malinowski.
4. Tallensi Childhood in Ghana: Meyer Fortes.
5. Continuities & Discontinuities in Cultural Conditioning: Ruth Benedict.
Part II: Infant Care: Cultural Variation in Parental Goals and Practices:.
6. The Comparative Study: Robert A. LeVine, Suzanne Dixon, Sarah E. LeVine, Amy Richman, Constance Keefer, P. Herbert Liederman and T. Berry Brazelton.
7. Infant Care in the Kalahari Desert: Melvin J. Konner.
8. Multiple Caretaking in the Ituri Forest: Edward Z. Tronick, Gilda A. Morelli and Steve Winn.
9. Fathers and Infants among Aka Pygmies: Barry S. Hewlett.
10. Swaddling, Cradleboards and the Development of Children: James S. Chisholm.
11. Talking and Playing with Babies: Ideologies of Child-Rearing: Catherine Snow, Akke de Blauw and Ghislaine Van Roosmalen.
12. Attachment in Anthropological Perspective: R. LeVine and Karin Norman.
13. An Experiment in Infant Care: Children of the Kibbutz: Melford E. Spiro with the assistance of Audrey G. Spiro.
Part III: Early Childhood: Language Acquisition, Socialization and Enculturation:.
14. The Acquisition of Communicative Style in Japanese: Patricia M. Clancy.
15. Why African Children Are So Hard to Test: Sara Harkness and Charles M. Super.
16. Autonomy and Aggression in the Three-Year-Old: the Utku Eskimo Case: Jean L. Briggs.
17. Narrating Transgressions in U.S. and Taiwan: Peggy J. Miller, Todd L. Sandel, Chung-Hui Liang and Heidi Fung.
18. Child’s Play in Italian Perspective: Rebecca S. New.
19. Discussione and Friendship in Italian Peer Culture: William A. Corsaro and Thomas A. Rizzo.
Part IV: Middle and Later Childhood: Work, Play, Participation, Learning:.
20. Age and Responsibility: Barbara Rogoff, Martha Julia Sellers, Sergio Pirrotta, Nathan Fox, and Sheldon H. White.
21. Child and Sibling Caregiving: Thomas Sl Weisner and Ronald Gallimore.
22. Altruistic and Egoistic Behavior of Children in Six Cultures: John W. M. Whiting and Beatrice Blyth Whiting.
23. Children’s Daily Lives among the Yucatec Maya: Suzanne Gaskins.
24. Children's Work, Play, and Relationships among the Giriama of Kenya: Martha Wenger.