1. Antiquity and the Middle Ages.
2. The Early Modern Period.
3. The Enlightenment.
4. The Nineteenth Century.
5. The Early Twentieth Century.
Sources and Suggestions for Further Reading.
Newly updated bibliography and suggestions for further reading
- This new edition expands the original to include more indepth coverage of contemporary art.
- Newly updated bibliography and suggestions for further reading
- Six chapters covering the major periods of Western art history: Antiquity and the Middle Ages, the early modern period (Renaissance and Baroque), the Enlightenment, the nineteenth century, early twentieth-century modernism, and postmodernism.
- Geared to the needs of the general reader and beginning students