1. Collection and handling of blood samples.
2. General hematological characteristics of birds.
3. Order specific hematological characteristics of birds.
4. Physiological and pathological influences on the hematological characteristics of birds.
5. Hemoparasites of birds.
"A thorough but concise review of the avian hematologic system. The numerous glossy color photographs illustrate descriptions in the text well, and the index is easy to follow...The book’s comprehensive review of all aspects of avian hematology, along with its dozens of clinically relevant, illustrative color photographs, makes it a terrific addition to any avian practitioner’s library." (JAVMA, June 2010)
"One of the major delights of this book is the number of images. ... Images are clearly labelled and explained, allowing the inexperienced individual to identify the key features. The text also provides additional information to the more experienced individual, who may recognise the images on sight. Producing a book of this type where the images can be recognised on sight is not as easy as it sounds, and this is another reason why this is a valuable resource." (The Bulletin of the Royal College of Pathologists, April 2010)
“The images will assist practitioners and clinical pathologists in becoming more familiar with different species of birds and their hematologic response to disease.” (Doody’s, April 2010)
- Highly illustrated photographic guide to the hematological characteristics of birds, including variations between the different orders.
- Covers hematological characteristics of healthy birds as well as hematoparasites and avian hematological responses to disease.
- Describes how to collect and handle blood samples from birds to best preserve the quality of the blood.
- Promotes accurate classification of hematological cells and identification of pathological changes.