DescriptionMaster today's toolmaking equipment
Here, fully updated to include new machines and electronic and digital controls, is the ultimate guide to automated machines and toolmaking. Whether you're a professional machinist, an apprentice, or a trade student, this fully illustrated volume helps you work with metal-safely, precisely, efficiently-using today's tools and techniques. It's packed with review questions for students, and loaded with answers you need on the job.
* Understand automated machine fundamentals and work with jigs and fixtures
* Learn the basics of spiral and helix milling, gear cutting, and cam machining
* Discover how to cut, punch, or shape a die with minimum waste
* Master the operations of today's grinders and lapping machines
* Find out all about toolmaking, from allowances and tolerances to layouts and master plates
* Follow the clear, step-by-step illustrations to gain a hands-on knowledge of techniques and procedures
About the Authors.
Chapter 1: Jigs and Fixtures.
Chapter 2: Helix and Spiral Calculations.
Chapter 3: Spur Gear Computations.
Chapter 4: Gears and Gear Cutting.
Chapter 5: Cams and Cam Design.
Chapter 6: Dies and Diemaking.
Chapter 7: Grinding.
Chapter 8: Laps and Lapping.
Chapter 9: Toolmaking Operations.
Chapter 10: Heat-Treating Furnaces.
Chapter 11: Annealing, Hardening, and Tempering.
Chapter 12: Principles of Induction Heating.
Chapter 13: High-Frequency Induction Heating.
Chapter 14: Furnace Brazing.
Chapter 15: Cold-Treating Process.
Chapter 16: Automatic Lathes.
Chapter 17: The Automatic Screw Machine.
Chapter 18: Automated Machine Tools.
Chapter 19: Computerized Machining.
Appendix: Reference Materials.