Preface to the first edition.
1. Water and its roles in baked products.
2. The role of water in the formation and processing of bread doughs.
3. The role of water in the formation and processing of batters, biscuit and cookie doughs, and pastes.
4. The contribution of water during processing, baking, cooling and freezing.
5. Effects of water on product textural properties and their changes during storage.
6. Water activity.
7. Moisture migration and its control in composite products.
8. Methods of determining moisture content and water activity.
9. Strategies for extending bakery product shelf-life.
- Highly practical - ideal for food technologists new to the industry, or as a reference source for experienced professionals
- Emphasis on shelf-life, organoleptic quality control, and determination of water activity and availability
- Includes a series of case studies which provide practical examples of various industry scenarios